IP address and VPN problem

sthashan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

In another thread we went through all the other hardware, software, and possible connection errors. So, I am really surprised that switching to VPN changes how the image is rendering. Whether it is std. Internet or VPN the content of the network packets is the same. The packets are encrypted and travel across the VPN network which is mostly the same network path and hardware, at least at both ends. 

You should be getting the exact same information whether using plain or VPN. The difference exists only in the traveling packets. If the packets are altered in either, the CRC (?) or whatever, error checking would catch the corruption and send up flags.

I have forgotten if you took the computer somewhere and tried it on a different network. If not, I would do that before going through the hassle of changing ISP's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sthashan said:

I dont think changing an ISP just for this is a good idea lol

Well, look at it logically.  First, try everything else to make sure you've isolated the problem.  You've pretty much done that...um, maybe a couple of other things.  I can't recall if you have tried:

• Using a different SL account.  Does the problem still happen with an alt?  If so, it's not anything special about the problem account's settings.  If not, try checking your Preferences very carefully, and try taking off all your attachments.
  • Using your computer, but take it over to a friend's house.  Still a problem?  If the issue follows the computer, it's something about your machine.  Graphics card, drivers, networking chip setup, OS installation, antivirus
  • Using your account, but on a completely different computer and network. 

If the problem happens with any SL account, but ONLY on your computer and only when you are connecting from home, then it pretty much has to be either something about either your home network or your ISP.

So, next, try using a different router in your home network.  (I am assuming you already are using an ethernet cable to connect your computer to your network.)  Some routers have had problems with SL.

If you still have the problem, you have isolated it to your ISP.  At that point you have two choices:  Deal with your ISP and get them to solve their problem, or switch ISPs.  Well, a third choice would be to give up Second Life, I suppose.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.