Chat logs

Slingsam Zanzibar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Slingsam Zanzibar said:

Recently upgraded but I missed instructions on how to load back up my chat logs.  How do I do that, please?

Upgraded what?  The viewer, your computer, your computer OS?  Please be more specific of exactly what you upgraded.

If you simply upgraded the viewer, without doing a clean install, your logs should still be present.  If you wiped out the old install and did a clean install, your logs are gone. If you changed computers, the logs are in your %APPDATA% folder, down in the viewer specific folder and then inside of the avatar name.  A computer OS upgrade may or may not have wiped your logs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slingsam Zanzibar said:

I did a clean viewer install...but backed up my chat logs.  I have them....but don't know how to load them back up....like a typical back up

I've done it before

Just don't know where to look

Gotcha.  

I'm pretty sure the Firestorm default is APPDATA/Roaming/Firestorm_x64/avatar-name, but that can be overridden.  If you overrode it, you can find the location by starting the viewer and checking preferences (you can do that before logging in) and then look at the bottom of the Network and Files tab. 

The SL viewer has them in APPDATA/Roaming/Secondlife/avatar-name - assuming that location wasn't overridden.

If you've already logged in to the newly installed viewer, you may need to merge files together -- as you'll have a saved "chat.txt" and also have a new one from your most recent logins.  Be sure you are not actually logged in when you edit existing files to merge them together.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

It's easy!

1.  In your viewer's Preferences, set the location where you want to keep the logs.  Or leave them in the default location.  Either way, make a note of the location, then log off.

2.  Get the folder of previous chat logs from wherever you stashed it.  Open it, select all the files in it, and Cut (CTRL+X) and Paste (CTRL+V) them in the location you specified in Step 1.

3.  If there are any duplicates (logs saved between the time you installed your new viewer version and now), open both versions of the file, copy and paste the newer file's content to the end of the older file, save the older (larger) file, and delete the newer one.  Or if you decide it's not a conversation worth saving, just delete one or both.

These are all just text files, so there's not much you can do that will truly mess things up.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.