Texturing by UUID, asset question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Simple question, not sure it's the entirely right forum:

1. If I upload an image, grab the UUID and apply it via script to a prim (using the UUID) and then delete the image from my inventory... the image on the prim seems to persist indefinitely. Is that indeed correct or is there some kind of periodic garbage collection running on the asset system? My current gut feeling is that the asset persists _at_least_ as long as the texture is in use _somewhere_.

2. Whether I copy a texture or pass it around, the UUID seems to stay the same. Correct? I tried giving it to a friend and then receiving it back, putting it into a prim inventory and reading the UUID and simply copying the assed in my inventory.

When you upload an image, it is assigned a UUID in SL's asset servers.  If you delete the texture from your inventory, all you're doing is removing your direct access to it. If you forget the UUID, for example, you won't be able to get it with llGetTexture because you no longer own it. The asset and its UUID are still there, however.  You or anyone else can apply it to a prim if you use a script and refer to it by its UUID.  A copy of a texture has the same UUID as the original, since there's no way to modiy a texture in world.

my personal experience is there is a garbage date, i have bought scipted scenery that has not found the textures due to them not being in the system anymore. Why  the creator didnt keep the textures, then felt free to sell the scenery I am unsure:).

I do not know if this loss is intended or not.

asset expiration generally only occurs if the original is not in someones inventory, or a copy is not rezzed inworld, or sitting in prim inventory.... I *think* this has been expanded to textures applied and uuids that are listed in scripts (probably to prevent failure like you had)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.