So why do you disable your away timer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Klytyna said:

If I feel some urgent need to provide a visual clue to my AFK status, I'll just add a rotating glowing AFK sign over my head that I made from some full perm mesh letters freebie I got off the MP ages ago.

:ph34r: Long time ago I made one with prims. xD

Rotating-afk-sign.gif.e76f7289503d2a071a77bb85e3f044e5.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Why did I disable the afk timer in my viewer?

Three reasons.

1. It's nobody's damn business if I step away from the keyboard for a min or two to refill the coffee mug, or get a sandwich or whatever.

2. The damn slumped over animation is even dumber than the typing animation which I also disabled.

3. Even when it was enabled, it didn't bloody work, something about my setup, maybe some "quiver" in the mouse drivers/hardware, means that about 5 seconds after I'd set AFK, and take my hands off the keyboard, SL would assume I had moved the mouse or something and mark me as back again, so it was completely pointless.

If I feel some urgent need to provide a visual clue to my AFK status, I'll just add a rotating glowing AFK sign over my head that I made from some full perm mesh letters freebie I got off the MP ages ago.

Personally I actually think it's just polite to notify other people that you aren't "live" at the moment.

i never use it, first thing after a reset is put it on "never"

There's nothing in SL that requires my constant attention or response. It will still be there when i return a few minutes later.

If it's longer i log off, and they have to wait too, i don't see a lot of difference.

Sometimes i respond back by email when a message comes in... often better not do it... "oh you been online"... no i wasn't... i responded by email, and have to explain even more than simply wait till i'm really back because lots still don'tknow you can reply at those email messages.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.