Making clothes for inworld Blender avastar and MD -What a mess...

CougEr Vultee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rigging for SL in BLENDER 2.79b using Avastar 2.79 and MD 6 personal

I think I am an intelligent person, and I do have many years experience in 3D modeling and animation, yet, I simply can not find a logical method which makes some sense to actually rig and import my finished mesh clothes work in second life. I have imported, but solid object which simply ar not rigged to the armature of my inworld avatar. It's perfectly rigged in blender and in "pose" mode i can move the bones and the garment will follow. But after saving it or rather exporting it with all the option correctly flagged, the stupid thing at the: "import a mesh into second life",   the weights are not available. greyed out. which means either one of the two program( Firestorm or blender) are stupid or I am missing something, not obvious but rather obscured, hidden and not easy to find. I watched hours and hours of tutorials  obviously completely useless because they use early version of the softwares and are nothing like the newest version of  MD, Blender and that ridiculously expensive plug-in AVASTAR  Yes, I am frustrated like I've never been before and i can't find anyone to help me. Can someone here point me in the right direction to get me out of this stupid loop?  Please...

TY 

Snoopy  

Hello! One of the reasons may be the amount of used bones, because the ability to upload rig is restricted to 110 bones per mesh. If it's not the reason, try asking in Blender Avastar group, usually most questions are answered online in minutes, many helpful people there. Here is the link to the group:

secondlife:///app/group/969567fd-6f74-dd45-eafe-ac1fcecd3479/about

Thank you,  the owner of avastar Gaia herself  was there, i spoke to her and instead of a simple help i got attitude and a full refund of the 10k i paid for avastar, to me  absolutelly useless., I'll rig the mesh in my animation program Lightwaveor Maya and it will work,  I have no longer need for avastar or any freeware toy animation prgram.

• Lindens
6 hours ago, CougEr Vultee said:

at the: "import a mesh into second life",   the weights are not available. greyed out.

This is almost always caused by one of two things: either rigging a single mesh to more than 110 joints, or rigging to a joint that's not part of the recognized avatar skeleton. Unfortunately Second Life does not always give you great feedback about the causes of such problems - however,  if you look in the SecondLife.log file, you will often see messages to help show what the problem is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just find it incredible that so many people had no problem and went on  creating  importing and even making tutorials  and I.  with so much experience  in 3D modelling and  rigging for animation outside second life  i cant do a simple process of  rigging a cat suit to an avatar using avastar latest version and Blender  lates  version. 110 joints...?   the 12 patters that stitched make the single object could have more than 110 connecting vertices but when i  unified  the pattern i also  welded it  so the vertices are connected. so litterally its a single  piece. that just needs to be rigged.  i managed to succesfully rig and import one version of  that using blender and avastar . i made a mistake in the patterns  and did not double sided or turn the faces of the 2 d pattern. 

maybe a catsuit is too much? 

• Sad 1

On 4/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, CougEr Vultee said:

I just find it incredible that so many people had no problem and went on  creating  importing and even making tutorials  and I.  with so much experience  in 3D modelling and  rigging for animation outside second life  i cant do a simple process of  rigging a cat suit to an avatar using avastar latest version and Blender  lates  version. 110 joints...?   the 12 patters that stitched make the single object could have more than 110 connecting vertices but when i  unified  the pattern i also  welded it  so the vertices are connected. so litterally its a single  piece. that just needs to be rigged.  i managed to succesfully rig and import one version of  that using blender and avastar . i made a mistake in the patterns  and did not double sided or turn the faces of the 2 d pattern. 

maybe a catsuit is too much? 

It it likely because SL is quite unique and very different to character rigging you would see in regular 3D studios.  Avastar was created to help guide creators through the quirks of SL but it sounds like you have perhaps missed a couple of steps (that are very SL specific) that are creating some major issues on import.

1 - Which body (avatar) are you using to rig to / when did you download from?

2 - When you used Avastar (it's been ages since I used it)  are you transferring or copying weights over as part of the weight painting?

3 - Did you remove unused vertex groups?  

4- You mention you welded into a single piece the 12 patterns.   Have you tried to upload without welding (and when did you weld in your workflow).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.