Find Hidden Objects?

Orion Enoch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I help manage a single private island for university/educational purposes. We've been fortunate enough to not have much by way of abuse happen on the island itself, but lately I've noticed every once in a while I do a lookup on the About Land > Objects tab just to see what objects are there. We only have 4 or 5 people (or groups) that should show up owning objects, but there's also periodically a few abusers that have somehow managed to get an object left behind on the island.

I can return the item easily enough, but I want to find it to look at more thoroughly and so I can file a proper SL abuse report.

Normally if I select an item in the list of objects for the parcel they highlight, but the owners of the objects don't show up. Is there a way I could get a beacon or a particle stream that leads me to the object. Seems like I should be able to do this, but so far I haven't been able to sort out how.

Some third party viewers offer a built in object search or you can use a HUD. Do a search on Marketplace for "object finder" and you'll come up with plenty of choices from free to not so free :) Currently there's nothing in the standard viewer that would allow this unless the item was scripted or emitted sound/particles, then you could use beams. Be warned sometimes objects are beneath ground or at very high altitude, a flight assist may be necessary.

Please - please - please..

Read and understand how to setup your land acording to your wishes. Especially before you abuse report people for leaving stuff rezzed in your rez-open zone..

Secret is - as another poster mentioned - allow all to rez, but then set auto return at x minutes (for instance 15). The trick then - and this is IMPORTANT - is that you ONLY rez permanent stuff when wearing your landowner group tag. O - did I remember to say you need to deed the land to a group?

Cheers,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.