Video Card Crasher's

Norianah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am so tired of Trolls crashing my computer. Is there any way I can protect myself from crashing due to attacks on my graphics card. I know this is being done on purpose as my screen totally freezes and I can't even log of until it says view chat or quit.

Any help would be appreciated ty.

2 answers to this question

There are several things you can do!  These are listed pretty much in my personal order of preference.

• Don't go to places where people like that tend to hang out!
  • For crashers that are worn (they most often are), use Preferences, Graphics tab, and set the Avatar Complexity slider to anything lower than "unlimited."
  • Turn away from the crasher so your camera does not "see" it.
  • In the Advanced menu (CTRL+ALT+D to enable this, if it isn't on your top menu bar now), click "Disable camera constraints".  Next time you encounter a crasher, quickly spin your mouse scroll wheel back, to zoom your camera back beyond your draw distance.  Then teleport somewhere else.
  • When you encounter a crasher, press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+1 or CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+9.  This will make the crasher invisible, but the downside is that it will also make most other objects invisible too, so it's only a temporary measure.
  • You can make a series of semitransparent neutral gray prims.  Try a range, like 50% to 90% opaque.  Attach these to the center HUD attachment point.  They act as "sunglasses" for your camera and cut down on the visual information reaching your graphics card.  Experiment to see what level of opacity is required to protect you against a crasher.
  • Like 2

Lindal has given you most of the tips. There is a Debug Setting that can help, MaxAttachmentComplexity. The default value is 1,000,000. You can lower this if other solutions are not helping. 

Changing Avatar Complexity limit in Preferences->Graphics is a better choice. With ACI set at a reasonable level (<=400k) you should not have problems with video crashers. With old video cards you will probably have to use a lower value. On my GTX-1060 I use an ACI limit of 120k to 150k just to help performance. I guess about 98% of all avatars render just fine.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.