Blender missing mapping for planer

Achille Putzo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Instead of using planar UV projection, try to use a object using cube mapping. Scaling the texture object sizes the texture, scaling the object keeps the texture consistent.

edit: found some time to make a little example image

mapping.thumb.png.91494d07757edb2ac0818fd829ee112f.png

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 1

On 31.3.2018 at 8:09 PM, Achille Putzo said:

Hello to all!!! I'm trying on blender with planar as in sl and on blender has no planar?

Planar mapping is a Second Life oddity to overcome some of the flaws in the rigid UV mapping of prims. The whole concept only really works for limited sets of standardized shapes ( like the prim system) and doesn't make much sense for mesh or outside SL.

It's client side too, so the mapping is not available to prim-to-mesh scripts like Mesh Studio and Mesh Generator. If it's a straight mesh concersion with no modifications, you can always apply planar mapping after uploading but that's usually not recommended.

With programs like Blender and Maya, you have full control of the position of each vertice on the UV map and several quick-and-dirty tools (like the one Optimo showed) for automatically creating half decent maps. I suggest you try to play around with those and get the feel of how UV mapping works.

• Like 1

you basically asked for a similar planar mapping behavior you have in SL to work in Blender, as i understood it. Probably i should have mentioned that this doesn't make the transfer to SL as it is, it's a texturing method that, for SL, still needs you to make UVs and bake the resulting texture. 

12 hours ago, ChinRey said:

With programs like Blender and Maya, you have full control of the position of each vertice on the UV map and several quick-and-dirty tools (like the one Optimo showed) for automatically creating half decent maps.

This is actually a texture mapping method to project textures regardless of UV orientations and seams. For rendering, it works without UVs too. Making UVs for a bake is a necessary step to obtain a usable texture in SL

edit: of course my example was using a procedural Blender texture, you should put any image you want to use as texture there

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Like 2

I try to explain to you to understand and show this similar Maya "Planar UV mapping" on site: http://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2016/ENU/?guid=GUID-B6519472-C0ED-4C07-99C6-12107A3509D9 and I'm trying to find a solution on blender like Maya on "Planar UV mapping" and I'll show you to understand on a table photo in rl .... that table is planar that I want to create on blender ... . this photo (is a example) >>>> https://postimg.org/image/7yl5sz56f/0333f300/

oh i guess then you want to use Project from View in Blender

Set an orthographic view (top, side, front, etc) and hit "U" on the keyboard and choose Project from View

Be careful to select the faces you want to make an island for when you do this procedure. Keep doing a new selection and the project from view untill you've got all parts' UVs

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2212 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.