Remove Rough Edges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

[Lunapic is a severely limited online photo editor, not a texture creation tool.]

[Except that it does things with sculpts that people can't even seem to figure out how to do with Blender. It's also totally portable; I can work at print shops or cafes if I have to.]

you have piqued my curiousity.  I have never heard of Lunapic.

You say you dont texture rocks you sculpt textures.  Does this Lunapic program make sculpties?

What things does Lunapic do that the other programs cannot do? 

Anything that Lunapic will do, I assume some other thing will also do. It's not a panacea. I would like it to handle larger images better, for example. 

The reasons that I recommend it are primarily that it is free and fully portable, because it is easy to learn to use, and because it continues to be developed in response to user input. The skew function and RGB swapper functions have worked well enough to be added as permanent features, but the color Japanizer, smart stretch and reversible frame circularizer will need some refinement if they're going to be added at all. 

Lunapic does not make sculpties as such; it does not rez or otherwise render 3d shapes. I do that with Sculptypaint 092, but I edit both surface image data and sculpt map data with Lunapic.  Things like the mirror and copy function allow me to do things like duplicate a sculpt map in the exact same space but with the interior and exterior reversed, so that when I put a similarly mirrored alpha texture on the sculpt, one alpha image points in and the other out, creating perfect image mapping front to back of masks, leaves, etc.

Sculpt-wise, though, I mostly use Lunapic to make color ranges transparent that I don't want pushed to the center in relief of some kind of sculpt template (open cylinders, open arch cubes, vanish-point spheres, etc). What's left (usually dark stuff) normally gets laid on top of itself in negative at 50%, creating gray data that can be layed over the sculpt template and producing a rough surface-derivative relief sculpt that I can vaiously mediate and otherwise play with in Sculptypaint 092.

Most of Lunapic's functions are intended to be photo editing functions. The admin had no idea I or anyone else would be using it to edit anything like sculpt data. The normalize funtion was never intended to do things like turn a vanish-point sphere into a vanish-point cube, but it does that. Anything you can do to tweak a photograph probably has some unintended use in editing of sculpt data. It's a question of recognizing what sculpt problem exists for which the photo editing function presents a solution. Lunapic has a lot of functions I expect I'll never use. OTOH, I now use almost daily some functions I used to think of as pointless or silly. They're easy to find and apply, so I suggest they're probably worth looking at for anything you might not be able to do with your current tools. 

But DON'T use Lunapic with Google Chrome. Not because of Lunapic, but because of Google Chrome. GC messes with pixel numbers when I load out from other free online image editors, too; not just Lunapic. Check carefully and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I have started to use Irfanview, and I like it, but I haven't found ways to use it as I have been using Lunapic. If I do, I will say so. I'm not here to promote Lunapic; I'm here to promote people finding the tools they need, and figuring out how to use them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.