Hijacked thread about nothing

Erwin Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rezzing mesh assets is pretty heavy on the region, and can lead to rez queueing. This will deffo cause some issues if a lot of mesh is rezzed at once.

It is bad practise to rez things where you don't need really need to, remember those temp rezzers of ye olde days? Granted this is less bad but still not something I'd advice. Also some furniture will reset on rez, and load their configuration all over again. 

Also be mindful of the fact that simulators have a mesh cache of their own, hence when rezzing a new heavy mesh asset the first time takes longer than rezzing one right afterwards. This cache is cleaned automatically if the assets do not remain in the region whenever their expiration time is reached.

Also, scripts compiled in mono have a small performance hit when brought into a region in any sort. It's why putting mono scripts in bullets is a no no in most combat community. Now granted this thing doesn't rez at a rate guns do, but furniture often has a multitude of scripts in them.

This is probably gonna piss off your neighbours more than having some scripts idling, because not only will the sim lag when an avatar teleports in, if shortly after they also automatically rez like 30 pieces of furniture at once it's gonna be pain and you're gonna have another sim impact.

These are my two cents as someone who's scripting deals with rezzing a lot.

PS: In rezzed state timer I'd detect if the agent is still within the region or if distance is a matter, get the distance of the avatar in relation to the doormat. So don't have your ***** derez midway shagging someone because you forgot to click the mat.

Edited by Ghost Menjou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Erwin Solo said:

Concerning ""It is bad practise to rez things where you don't need really need to,"  we don't need anything at all in SL so I guess everything is bad practice. LoL

That is a bad opinion and you should feel bad. That's like saying we should all run around with 3000 scripts because "we don't need anything in sl including sim resources".

also @Love Zhaoying

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CasperTech-Rez2-Huge-Build-Rezzer-Formerly-Rez-Free/1579760

It's free no premium.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost Menjou said:

From the MP entry:

”The Premium version (in related items below) also integrates with non-caspertech systems and includes API support”

Paid/premium versions always have more features. The listing mentions one. I will search again.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost Menjou said:

Oh wait I see what you mean, that's for the holovendors.

The regular one might not support this script, only the holovendor included one, let me check.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

From the MP entry:

”The Premium version (in related items below) also integrates with non-caspertech systems and includes API support”

Paid/premium versions always have more features. The listing mentions one. I will search again.

Yeah I saw what you meant after. The premium one must be the one part of the holovend packet, I don't think there's a standalone one.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Menjou said:

It seems the OP didn't like the advice he got sadly from experienced scripters.

I kept wanting to suggest a menu with options for Rez Time / perm / etc. not sure why someone would want their furniture to disappear when not home. But, I held back.

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I kept wanting to suggest a menu with options for Rez Time / perm / etc. not sure why someone would want their furniture to disappear when not home. But, I held back.

I can understand if you want like a holodeck kinda thing with differing skyboxes, but for just all your ***** to rez/derez automatically is just being bad neighbour due to sim impact of such a thing. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

withdrawn

I don't think this discussion has been hijacked at all.   On the contrary, I think Ghost and Love have made very helpful points, particularly about the implications of rezzing complex mesh objects when you don't need to.  

ETA:  The fact LL pinned my post about not deleting threads you post here would rather suggest they share my views on posts as community resources once you've sent them.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.