system performance

Gunnar Korobase

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The below is showing a screenshot of my system performance while the SL viewer 2 is running. Is there any setting/add-on program to even this out over the cores. I noticed, since core 3 and 6 is maxed all the time, every 10 seconds or so, a slow down in frame rate. Sometimes it even stops everything. I have an i7 processor and a gforce 580 graphic card. Performance should be better with a setup like that...

task manager.jpg

hmm.. so someone forgot to tell the webmaster that the term Viewer is supposed to be replaced with Client? Viewer is still used on the download page.

Regardless... so if it would be named a Client, that would fix the multi core issue? Not sure of the purpose on your post Qwalyphi..

Did some searching as well and found: There is no setting/program that takes advantage of your multi core system. Most computers nowadays are at least 2 or 4 core.. and still SL's viewer doesn't use these, instead just uses single core systems. So, quite a lot of folks who have 2, 4 or more cores will have the same or less performance then what they had with an old computer. But an old computer means an old graphic card. The better the card the better the graphic, but wait...for that you need a good computer with 4 or more cores.. hmm.. damned if you do, damned if you don't.. 

LL, get your act together..or ask Microsoft to give you a hand... ;-/

oh huh... sure enough, I missed it too even with the graphic there....

it is odd that the one core is pegged like that though, I run a measly four core system and while usage is generally high, it's almost never pegged like that (I run ultra settings), so I'm suspecting that something else is also running on that core.... it's not much help but you might try specifying that dead core to run SL.

I do agree though that SL seriously underutilizes the GPU in favor of the CPU, oddly enough in the area that should push the GPU the most... shadows. turning of aa and anistopic filtering in the client and overriding it from the video card config panel helps a little though (and makes shadows play nice with AA)

The SL Viewer just isn't very good at using multiple cores.  Even with multiple threads enabled, the application doesn't seem to utilize more than 2 CPU cores/threads.  Supporting many cores is possible (I use a number of apps that put all 16 threads to work on my system), as is 64-bit, OpenCL/CUDA (tapping into the GPU's processing power to help get the job done), and other cool things that would allow even better Viewer performance on all platforms..... they just need either the resources to write it or the contributions from the community to make it happen.

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Duo core and viewer 2.4. I call it micro stuttering.

Every 3-4 second or so my experience pauses for half a second and fps peeks wildly up and down.

I gave 2.4 a chance sinde December. It was running acceptable with high fps, but lately the inworld experience has become utter super annoying caused by the mirco stuttering.

When i returned to 1.23.5 all is running silky smooth.

My notebook for SL is a an Asus G50Vt with an Nvidia 9800M GT card which had been a class1 notebook upto Feb this year, so it is really fast enough.

There are no things i have not tried to resolve the issue really, even completely installed the computer and router again. nothing helped for 2.x.

Nothing, really nothing has solved the issue while my list of experiments is super long. Really, i have tried everything.

Back to silky smooth running 1.23.5 (yay!)

It might work for you too :smileyhappy:

Linda,

When I had a dual core computer, this helped boost a bit of performance:

• While running SL (or at least have the SL client login up), bring up the Windows Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+Delete
  • Select the Processes tab, and locate SecondLife.exe listed under Image Name
  • Right-click on SecondLife.exe, and from the dropdown, select “SetAffinity…”
  • When the Processor Affinity window pops up, you’ll most likely notice that two CPUs are selected, CPU 0 & CPU 1. Select only one of the CPUs (yes, only one), then click on OK.

This is an 'instance' setting so it might not 'stick' and you will have to do this the next time you run SL..
    It's worth a try.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.