Locations suddenly want to open in SL Viewer

CrestedLotus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been using Firestorm almost exclusively since coming to SL.  The other day I downloaded SL Viewer and installed it to see if Firestorm was at fault for a problem I was having.  Now anytime I want to visit a link from an SL link it tries to open SL VIewer.  That has never happened before.  I didn't assign SL Viewer as a default viewer anywhere.  How do I get it to offer to open in FS again?   I tried uninstalling SL VIewer and cleared browser cache but kept cache on my hard drive in case I want to reinstall it at a future date and that did not resolve the issue.

Edited by CrestedLotus
typo

5 answers to this question

You hit a basic Windows gotcha. Reinstall FS and it will change back to using FS. Just install over the top of the existing install. Your settings and stuff will remain.

Windows uses the last installed program capable of opening a SLURL. 

The FS team makes a tool (SLURL-Proxy ) you can use to set which viewer you want SLURL's to use. Save's doing re-installs. You may just want to get it and forget the re-install.

OK let me reword that.  LOL  It is asking me to drop the shortcut into the SL Proxy Box, and maybe I"m not seeing the obvious, but how do you do that?  I tried from File Manager and also from the start menu.  Maybe it won't let me because I am in FS right now?

Edited by CrestedLotus
Changed my confusion!

1 hour ago, CrestedLotus said:

OK let me reword that.  LOL  It is asking me to drop the shortcut into the SL Proxy Box, and maybe I"m not seeing the obvious, but how do you do that?  I tried from File Manager and also from the start menu.  Maybe it won't let me because I am in FS right now?

You should just be able to left click the shortcut in File Manager and drag it to the SLURL Proxy app window.  If it won't let you drop the shortcut link there, try the actual executable that the shortcut is pointing to.  I can't remember which way I did it.

BTW - Anytime you install an update to the SL viewer, you will have to open up the SLURL Proxy app and once again tell it to make Firestorm the default.  It will keep knowledge of Firestorm but any install / update of the SL viewer will reset the default SLURL action so you'll have to check the box again - and maybe even re-click the menu item "Make me Default".  the SL viewer really likes to try taking control on things.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.