How to make Animation in Blender Using Rigged Character of Avatar Work Bench

ALI131129i

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried making a simple pose in blender,  I was using a rigged body and in pose mode I moved all parts to make a pose then created keyframe. but when i export it to SL it says the name of bones is wrong , Do i have to name all bones to SL bones ? Then make Animation , If Yes then What names should i use ?

If Anyone can give me a Blender file that is ready to make poses then I'll be very thankful ♥

Edited by ALI131129i

If you're using the Avatar Workbench for Blender, from the Machinimatrix website, make sure of two things:

1) your skeleton should face +X: rotate it in object mode and CTRL+A -> Apply rotation

2) the root bone (mPelvis) should be named "hip" (without quotes of course)

then you can export with the native Blender BVH exporter.

• Thanks 2

i don't use Blender anymore since a long time, so i can't help with working materials. However, you didn't mention you were using Avastar add-on. If you're trying to animate with an Avastar rig without it being installed, it won't work for a few reasons:

1) Avastar orientation is wrong for SL, it gets adjusted by Avastar scripts upon export;

2)Avastar animation rig is a utility skeleton, meant to drive the deforming skeleton (the true SL avatar skeleton). Those bones' names are different from SL's because Blender needs a specific naming convention to manage left-right side recognition. Plus...

3) This skeleton uses a structure that allows better animation than the deforming default skeleton (like the inverse hips, the COG and the Origin) and therefore the hierarchy is recognized as invalid;

4) you're exporting using the default BVH exporter on a meter scale character, while a bvh file for SL describes a character in inches scale.

In Blender, nothing really works except Avastar, when it comes to animation.

• Thanks 2

Basically, yes.

There is another thread (here ^) where the OP was having a problem with rigging using either the avatar workbench or Avastar, in there i give a full explanation as to how the avatar should be oriented to work without Avastar's intervention.

Once your scene has the avatar comply to the listed requirements, it should work also to export animations, although you can't not expect extreme precision: the scale plays a big role, but it would work.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.