SL Antiquity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently moved, and after several years was able to unpack boxes that had been in storage for a long time.   I came across these items.

They were prizes received for placing 4th(?) in the Sculpted Prim contest held by Linden Lab 10 years ago in May 2007.

The cube hasn't aged well as the plastic has yellowed, but the light still works (original batteries too!  I checked, they are not coroded, but going to replace them as soon as I can).  The other cube looking item is a vacuum compressed Second Life T-shirt, and then the front item is a pendant on a cord style necklace.

I'm so happy that we have mesh now, but sculpted prims certainly added some new life to SL at the time. For me it helped me with mesh modeling, as the way the sculpties worked needed me to change my modeling methods.

SL Antiques.jpg

• Like 6

Thats pretty cool, to get that yellow out, sit the cube in some hydrogen peroxide and set it out covered in the sun for a few hours (or google other methods for "retrobriting", an easier one is oxy-clean paste and plastic wrap, you need heat so sitting it in a toaster oven at 110 degrees or so is usually good). I do that regularly on old plastics to re whiten them.

Somewhere in my boxes of crap ive got my real Habbo Dragon Lamp with my username on it that i won as part of a space building contest years ago. Though its like 4" tall and the fire is just plastic with some LED's, its pretty cool to get irl prizes from games.

No. But I taught myself 3d in RL because "prims" confused me when I joined SL in 2009. (hadn't ever heard of them)

Now I make objects, (pendants & necklaces), get them printed to 16 micron accuracy, mold & cast them in Argentium 935, then sell them in RL.

A tiny little start-up ecommerce business, that has awesome potential.

Thank you so much LL.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.