How to display my inventory in my About Me section?

Lightesword Xue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I really don't think you want to display your inventory in your profile!  Even if I could do it, who would actually read all of my 67,000 items??

But your actual post asks how to display a clickable LINK in your profile, or a GIF.

Here's what Rand Linden has to say:

"As you may have already seen when editing your profile, you can provide a home page. But what if that isn't enough? Type in something beginning with "http://" and it gets recognized as a hyperlink. Some domain conventions, like a link beginning with "www.", is also detected. For example, "www.secondlife.com" is recognized, but alas, "secondlife.com" isn't."

As for GIFs, you can't add an animated GIF to your profile.  You CAN add a static GIF image, just as you would add a JPEG or a PNG image...create one of the proper size and aspect ratio and drop it into any of the picture areas in the profile.  Here are the dimensions to use:

Profile > Picture - native aspect ratio; thumbnail cropped to 72×72 pixels; zoomed uncropped up to 300×300 pixels
Profile > Real world picture - native aspect ratio; thumbnail cropped to 45×45 pixels; zoomed uncropped up to 300×300 pixels
Profile > Picks thumbnail - 4:3 (60×45 pixels)
Profile > Pick expanded - 4:3 (320×240 pixels)

I don't think it's actually his inventory, It looks like he just used one of those Icon list notecards you can pick up on MP. I have one myself.

Notice he typed (no transfer) next to a fu*ck, kinda self explanatory :D

Edited by ForrestChild
added content
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ForrestChild said:

I don't think it's actually his inventory, It looks like he just used one of those Icon list notecards you can pick up on MP. I have one myself.

Notice he typed (no transfer) next to a fu*ck, kinda self explanatory :D

Ohhh.  OK, NVM then.

Hello!

What you are seeing is the use of the viewer's <icon></icon> element.

This is what it looks like when editing the profile:

<icon>Accordion_ArrowOpened_Press</icon><icon>Inv_FolderOpen</icon>Inventory 
<icon>Inv_Object</icon>a **** (no transfer) 

You can find a list of all the usable icons in your Second Life install at /skins/default/textures/.

This works in two ways:

1. If you specify .png, .tga, .jp2, or similar, it will look in the /skins/default/textures/ folder. (EG: up_arrow.png, build/Object_Tube.png)
  2. If you do not specify .png, .tga, .jp2, it will look in /skins/default/textures/icons/. (EG: InvFolder_Open, Accordion_ArrowOpened_Press)

I don't know where you saw someone using gifs in their profile. Second Life's viewer image decoder does not support gifs as far as I know, and wouldn't work in profiles. If anything, it was likely a web page on their "Web" tab.

Please keep the following in mind though:

1. This only works with legacy profiles. If you view people's profiles on the new system(web profiles), such as users viewing profiles using the official client, it will only show up with the raw, unformatted text.
  2. Some viewers do not implement it so that you will see it on a editable field. You will need to have a friend or a alt to see it to check if it worked properly.
  3. If you are browsing the list of usable icons, you need to be sure you follow the casing in the titles. This is for operating systems like Mac and Linux which use case sensitive file names. If you do not do so, it will only show up as a grey 128x128 square.
  4. This is not a feature officially supported by Linden Lab, and may change or be blocked in the future. Consider it like Invisiprims. They were a bug but Linden Lab decided not to stop users from using it, However they fixed it later on, breaking it for users who use advanced lighting.
Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.