Pros vs cons of store in my av name or an alt

Pinky Vought

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm almost ready to open a new store and have heard it's better to sell my items under an alt with a store name instead of my main account. Any thoughts?

Also, when merchants say to contact their store manager with issues, is that usually an alt or someone else?

Thanks

• Like 1

Makes little to no difference IMO, it's the icon and the content that sells your product and another few metrics I will not talk about since I gain edge from it. I came in pretty late in SL to start selling, and it picked up really quickly now it covers the cost of a whole sim with extras to spare.

I have sold an item for 20 copies before someone dropped a message to say the item inside is wrong, it was by pure accident but it shows you how much the icon and product page sells it for you. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Pinky Vought said:

Hello,

I'm almost ready to open a new store and have heard it's better to sell my items under an alt with a store name instead of my main account. Any thoughts?

Also, when merchants say to contact their store manager with issues, is that usually an alt or someone else?

Thanks

Hi Pinky!

Some Merchants choose to use a dedicated store alt account, but other than personal preference, it makes no difference which one you choose. 

Using an alt though, will allow you to continue to use Second Life on your main account without being contacted randomly by potential customers asking questions about your products, etc.  This can be either good or bad.

If you are only reselling Gatcha items, or other items you have gotten along the way in your SL travels, then you may want to opt to use an alternate account to list the items for sale.

If you are creating your own items and you need to be available to help your customers, or potential customers, you may wish to use your primary creator account instead.

You can, of course, create an account that will be both your store and creator account, and then leave your main account for fun in Second Life, as long as you remember to spend time on the creator/seller account in the event that your customers need to reach you.

With regards to some merchants having "store managers", it really depends.  It may be an alt account that the person uses primarily in SL while they have a separate store account that they use specifically for selling content on the Marketplace, or it may be an employee/volunteer that can help answer questions or address issues.

Some fashion houses or tech type companies may be large enough that they do in fact have others who help out in groups, etc., that can answer questions without having to directly try to contact the seller themselves.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2411 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.