Question about heads / faces

zoelamb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, zoelamb said:

How can I tell a skin is for a system head or not? The little icon looked like a person and it had a 'wear' option.

Yep, if the icon looks like a person, it is a regular skin. 

26 minutes ago, zoelamb said:

The shape itself was fine but it looked like the skin was basically not positioned properly on it. The eyes did not line up with my actual eyes and things like that. 

As Skell mentioned above, some skins will not look right on some shapes exactly because of what you noticed - the eyes or lips that are part of the skin texture do not quite line up with your head shape.  If you really like the skin, use the supplied shape and modify it to your body specs and then tweak the head parts to customize it to your liking.  Sometimes you can get a look you like doing this.  Sometimes you just have to go with a different skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, angeoco said:

I hope all the above is not totally frying your brain! It's actually quite simple once we get our heads around the new concepts. Here is a skin you might like: Debbie from WoW: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Restful Pleasure/114/218/26. (Run to the big shop at the end of the road, the room at the right, it's on the far side of the pillar in the middle). The tan version costs 35 lindens but all the other skins in the shop seem to be about 1000 :o

Thanks I will try that one. Brain slightly fried, I felt like throwing my laptop across the room yesterday :)  But yes starting to get it.

Sorry for being a newbie, we are SO annoying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yep, if the icon looks like a person, it is a regular skin. 

As Skell mentioned above, some skins will not look right on some shapes exactly because of what you noticed - the eyes or lips that are part of the skin texture do not quite line up with your head shape.  If you really like the skin, use the supplied shape and modify it to your body specs and then tweak the head parts to customize it to your liking.  Sometimes you can get a look you like doing this.  Sometimes you just have to go with a different skin.

Thanks, that is good to know about the icon.

2 minutes ago, zoelamb said:

Thanks I will try that one. Brain slightly fried, I felt like throwing my laptop across the room yesterday :)  But yes starting to get it.

Sorry for being a newbie, we are SO annoying.

We've all been there.  Though I will say that since Mesh came about, being a newbie does seem to be much more frustrating than it was back in the long ago days when I joined.  I truly feel for you.

• Like 2

@Skell Dagger Thanks for this thorough and detailed info - that is really useful - I have only just read through it all. In my case the eyebrows *were* halfway up to the hairline - at least with some of the skins I tried. I now think that is because I was using a shape (that had an eyebrow adapter part) that was not designed for use with the system body.

10 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

In short: if you're trying on a shape that states somewhere on the ad (or in the description on Marketplace) that it's made for a specific Bento head (eg: "for Catwa Catya") then it will not look good with a system head.

THIS... This was exactly the problem, it turns out. Thanks again to you (and everyone else) for being so helpful. I hope this thread serves to help others out in future, as I'm not worthy of (or comfortable with) all this attention! eek....

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, zoelamb said:

THIS... This was exactly the problem, it turns out. Thanks again to you (and everyone else) for being so helpful. I hope this thread serves to help others out in future, as I'm not worthy of (or comfortable with) all this attention! eek....

Glad you've got it sorted :)

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.