Why can't we modify the wiki anymore?

Ravenmists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Iv noticed over the last few months that we are unable to modify the wiki. Any ideas why this is?. I thought the wiki was supposed be a resource for residents written, mostly, by residents. I have quite a few cool scripts and other bits that I have designed that I would love to add to help others and yet I am now unable to contribute anything on any account, same with my friends. Take the combat system page for example, it was modified in January to "remove old and dead systems" and has pretty much been turned into a advert for some boring linden damage sim with four user created systems barely mentioned at the bottom. I wanted to modify it to return the systems that are actually still in use to the page so they can continue to gain recognition and players and also to dumb down that stupid 1/3rd of a page advert for a linden damage sim.

• 1 month later...

The "boring linden damage sim" was new jessie, and was the HUB for all SLMC military groups. It harbored a very very large corner of the entire community and acted as the central area for almost all combat sims in SL. The spamming issue was due to a group of people within the SLMC trying to modify information about opposing factions. Systems still in use are VICE, DCS, whatever GAR uses (if they're not on dice rolls) and SLMC/LLCS. 

DCS from what i understand is a sort of play on MMORPG combat for SL and has countless sims active

GOR damage is very popular amongst those who are into cave men BDSM combat (suprizingly the largest portion of sl rp) and their sims can be found by searching "Gor Hub" in search

VICE is a metered combat with strict rules and regulations. its applications have been used from modern, to ww1 sims. they have currently Tulagi, Binh Dinh, and New Bastogne.

GAR if they're even still on a system is very rarely active for combat and is a star wars based RP sim. From what I understand, they do have a combat system but people would rather roleplay.

SLMC/LLCS is unlimited, and the SLMC community is the grandfather of all of these systems because it is the original combat system. Current groups have their historical roots dating back to 2005. Nowadays there are dozens of factions to choose from, each with their own themes, cultures, and history. 

I'm an officer in one of the larger, and older factions in SLMC/LLCS and I can tell you that there is much more going on than just a bunch of mindless killing. I could even list all the factions that have existed over the years, but the current number I'm at is over 120. 14 of them are currently alive and active. If you want to know more about the SLMC, the best i can do ya is give you the best example of one that I know of, and that is the Coercion Combine

I Highly recommend checking out this post. We are just one in many, and there is so much to do in each faction.

As for the forums, Ghost Menjou is the SLMC member who was put in charge of the wiki, however, he's been missing since around last year during an event which resulted in multiple military deaths and hiatuses.

New Jessie has also since disappeared because the man running it, Caine Constantine has been providing a HUB for SL combat for many many years, and thought it time to go live out in RL

Edited by Parx Oran

3 hours ago, Parx Oran said:

The spamming issue was due to a group of people within the SLMC trying to modify information about opposing factions.

Um, no it wasn't unless they also had a side line in Dial-A-Phish fake Microsoft help numbers & "marital aids" from China.

3 hours ago, Parx Oran said:

Ghost Menjou is the SLMC member who was put in charge of the wiki, however, he's been missing since around last year during an event which resulted in multiple military deaths and hiatuses.

Ghost edits the wiki combat pages & files JIRA issues regularly, he doesn't appear to be missing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Ghost edits the wiki combat pages & files JIRA issues regularly

Ghost was a very active SLMC member. He'd know if New Jessie, 'the HUB of all combat in SL' was gone. Not only that but a very good portion of those military groups below it are now dead and have no place on the wiki. Listing all previous dead military groups would be near impossible as there have been over 200 over the years counting maingrid and teengrid. Not only should things be removed, but this has been a very prosperous year for combat in SL. There are many new places. I'll list everything here.

Dead:

New Jessie (God rest it)

KPC

XAF (Negotiable)

New:

Valix

Task Force Ghosts

Chaos Decreptum

DDR

CDF

Magyar Hadsereg

Hazardous

Vaelkyr

I opened up a discussion in a discord known as "Project Genesis" which is supposed to replace the fact that the combat community doesn't actually have a place on the forums ('m fighting it because I've got no life and I'm a hipster) and a couple people in the SLMC informed me that he left SL roughly last year as many do after their groups die off. 

The discord is still in discussion over who should take over. Because gone or not, he's not updating enough. These groups were alive last year, and died as a result of a failed crusade against a single group. As the factions hold their own biases, this has become a difficult decision. The combat community is eager to back up off its feet, and we could use all forms of informing and advertising as possible. 

not only that, but most of the ones that are still alive have moved to different sims multiple times since then. Since things move so often, we'd need things to be updated more than annually. We have a board in-world that was made by Valix's own, Sin Straaf to connect the sims by an activity board rather than a large group of people having to memorize all of the sim names. This board updates whenever a group has moved from one sim to the next. (The hop between full, and homestead is very common due to people being busy IRL for finals, work crunch times etc.)

All in all, if Ghost is as active as you say he is, why is there year-old information on it? 

Edited by Parx Oran

I am no longer involved with the SLMC but I wasn't put in charge of anything. I just offered to help people to.

References to new jessie have been removed a few days ago since I heard it passed. 

I only bother with pages related to VICE and LSL scripting, if you want anything edited you can ask support for edit rights. If you want minor edits or you have some concrete text to replace feel free to ping me as well.

As for New Jessie's big mentions is that LLCS is the only combat system built in and New Jessie was functioning as a hub for all other LLCS/SLMC sims to get people into the combat community as a entirely non-commercial joint effort neutral sim.

The wiki was indeed closed completely off due to massive spam for all kinds of scam websites and not for any kind of edit war.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.