Scripts In Furniture No Longer Work Advice Please

Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. I had some coalesced  items on my land after I took everything back to start over, and now many of my favorite furniture ( some of it no copy gacha items ) no longer work. None of the scripts inside them will function anymore. I have tried everything I can think and nothing seems to help. Is there anything I can do to get them to work again? 

I see none of the usual experts have answered, so I will do my little part!

1. Are you certain that you are trying these items on land that has scripts enabled?

2. Another thought: I have bought furniture before that came in "pieces". For instance, a chair to sit on and an ottoman.  Without both pieces, the item no longer functions.

3. Have you tried resetting scripts in the objects? (I know you wrote "I have tried everything" but it does not hurt to ask.)

4. Were the objects deeded to a group?  If so, the scripts may only work if you are in that group.

On 7/25/2017 at 0:49 AM, Elinah Iredell said:

... furniture ( some of it no copy gacha items ) ...

There's just no way no-copy furniture makes sense in Second Life. Maybe in some magical virtual world where nothing ever goes wrong, but that's not Second Life. If the merchant offers an exchange to get a copy/no-transfer version instead, life will be ever so much simpler in future. Failing that, if you can find a "greater fool" who'll still buy these things, do yourself a favor and unload them.

You may still want to get them working, though, and Love's suggestions are great, Besides resetting scripts there's also "Build / Scripts / Set Scripts to Running" if they somehow hit a fatal error. (This assumes these items aren't also crippled by no-mod permissions, which prevents both reset and set-running of scripts inside. No-mod would be a really silly permissions setting for furniture, but they are no-copy and that's already pretty silly.)

Otherwise... maybe one of us should make a site visit to see if we can find any reason the items aren't working. There's nothing about taking coalesced objects into inventory and rezzing them again that should trigger any obvious script malfunctions I can think of.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:
On 7/25/2017 at 0:49 AM, Elinah Iredell said:

... furniture ( some of it no copy gacha items ) ...

There's just no way no-copy furniture makes sense in Second Life. Maybe in some magical virtual world where nothing ever goes wrong, but that's not Second Life. If the merchant offers an exchange to get a copy/no-transfer version instead, life will be ever so much simpler in future. Failing that, if you can find a "greater fool" who'll still buy these things, do yourself a favor and unload them.

I didn't focus on the "gacha" item aspect. Who knows, maybe they were scripted in a very bad way so as to not work in certain conditions? Your offer to help in person will probably solve it.

22 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I see none of the usual experts have answered, so I will do my little part!

1. Are you certain that you are trying these items on land that has scripts enabled?

2. Another thought: I have bought furniture before that came in "pieces". For instance, a chair to sit on and an ottoman.  Without both pieces, the item no longer functions.

3. Have you tried resetting scripts in the objects? (I know you wrote "I have tried everything" but it does not hurt to ask.)

4. Were the objects deeded to a group?  If so, the scripts may only work if you are in that group.

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have my land deeded to a group, I  also the scripts permission on the land checked and while scripts were enabled for group it was not enabled for anyone else. I set scripts to everyone and made sure I was also wearing a group tag ( though I usually do wear it ) and it worked for one of the  gacha items! Now one of them works again. And anothe of the items that did not work turned out to be copyable and I had saved its box it was not a gachs so I created a new one and it works too. Unfortunately the third item ( my favorite ) still does not work. It is a no copy gacha . I went down the line again with the scripts recompiling and resetting but nothing has helped. What is the difference between lsl and mono scripts ? . I feel much better now that at least two are now working again but not sure what to do about the last one. None of them are in pieces. They all rez as one piece. 

17 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

You may still want to get them working, though, and Love's suggestions are great, Besides resetting scripts there's also "Build / Scripts / Set Scripts to Running" if they somehow hit a fatal error. (This assumes these items aren't also crippled by no-mod permissions, which prevents both reset and set-running of scripts inside. No-mod would be a really silly permissions setting for furniture, but they are no-copy and that's already pretty silly.)

Otherwise... maybe one of us should make a site visit to see if we can find any reason the items aren't working. There's nothing about taking coalesced objects into inventory and rezzing them again that should trigger any obvious script malfunctions I can think of.

Thank you I agree no copy for furniture is a bad idea. I will contact the creator and see if I can get a new gacha item  replacement . I would feel bad about selling it with the scripts not working unless the person knew about it and still wanted it and I sold it at a discount maybe? it is a beautiful piece of furniture maybe if someone has their own script to put into it they may want it ? Or maybe I should consider buying a new animation set for it?  Have you ever heard of a script simply to stop functioning or becoming damaged and not working anymore? 

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn't focus on the "gacha" item aspect. Who knows, maybe they were scripted in a very bad way so as to not work in certain conditions? Your offer to help in person will probably solve it.

Yes I appreciate the offer. I wish I knew more about scripts myself. My land is a work in progress. I wonder if updating the second life viewer made any difference also ? 

44 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

What is the difference between lsl and mono scripts ?

LSL is the original script engine. It has a very low memory limit.  Mono is the newer script engine and allows for a lot more script memory. Scripts should use Mono these days (unless they are very very old).

19 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

... maybe if someone has their own script to put into it they may want it ? Or maybe I should consider buying a new animation set for it?  Have you ever heard of a script simply to stop functioning or becoming damaged and not working anymore? 

Yes, as long as this is a Mod perm item, you don't need to give up on it. You might, for example, swap in a replacement animation engine you get from some other (presumably copiable) item -- but that can be a lot of work to re-establish the pose and other configurations (usually in a notecard) from the original engine to the replacement, assuming they aren't the same.

I have certainly seen scripts stop running -- in fact, just the past week or so I saw a basic AVsitter script need to be "set running" again after a stack/heap collision (presumably I'd stuffed too much in the configuration, though it hadn't been a problem before). And as all scripters know from embarrassing experience, resetting and recompiling scripts do not set them running again -- that's a separate thing.

One other crazy thought: Somehow in the course of all this, you didn't accidentally mute ("block") the item, by any chance? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2017 at 9:39 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

LSL is the original script engine. It has a very low memory limit.  Mono is the newer script engine and allows for a lot more script memory. Scripts should use Mono these days (unless they are very very old).

Hi thank you for the info. I need to learn more about all of this. 

On 7/29/2017 at 5:09 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Yes, as long as this is a Mod perm item, you don't need to give up on it. You might, for example, swap in a replacement animation engine you get from some other (presumably copiable) item -- but that can be a lot of work to re-establish the pose and other configurations (usually in a notecard) from the original engine to the replacement, assuming they aren't the same.

I have certainly seen scripts stop running -- in fact, just the past week or so I saw a basic AVsitter script need to be "set running" again after a stack/heap collision (presumably I'd stuffed too much in the configuration, though it hadn't been a problem before). And as all scripters know from embarrassing experience, resetting and recompiling scripts do not set them running again -- that's a separate thing.

One other crazy thought: Somehow in the course of all this, you didn't accidentally mute ("block") the item, by any chance? 

Well I checked my land and could not find any indication it was blocked. Do you know how to tell for sure? I admit I have given up and replaced it with another furniture item at least until I can get some new animations. I like the idea of a replacement animation. 

13 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Well I checked my land and could not find any indication it was blocked. Do you know how to tell for sure? I admit I have given up and replaced it with another furniture item at least until I can get some new animations. I like the idea of a replacement animation. 

Oh, by "blocked" I just meant that you personally had it blocked, so it would be in your viewer, not on your land. In the Linden viewer, check "Communicate"/"Block list" which includes both avatars and objects. Admittedly, this seems unlikely (and wouldn't make sense if others are having the same problem with the same objects), but people do accidentally block objects sometimes, with confusing results.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.