Shadow Changes - Firestorm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since installing the latest Firestorm viewer I have some really horrible and harsh shadows on my "building default" Windlight setting. Some others are fine of course but twice now I have redone mesh several times thinking there was an issue with the mesh when it was only some very ugly shadows that mimicked some nasty topology.

These are not SL specific but likely Firestorm specific. I can't figure out how to import or even save an use a Windlight setting in the official viewer (I HAVE tried!).

So is there something that saving my settings didn't transfer over that is causing this?  Here is an example with my graphics settings in the screenshot.

Thanks.

PS. I changed my default Windlight so that those shadows don't show up (made it later in the day) so that appears to be worked around. I would still like to know why this is happening :D. 

596af69176db4_nastyshadows.thumb.PNG.1648ac5ec2bbaaaf758bc480764818c6.PNG

hardware.PNG.0c53c346fbd46ad632593a25e6afb600.PNG

Edited by Chic Aeon

Did you do a 'clean install' or an overwrite?

Don't use FS myself but... in Catznip, on the developer menu, under rendering there's an option for SSAO shadow smoothing, Perhaps your previous install had a similar feature enabled, and a clean install, means you need to set this again?

58 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Did you do a 'clean install' or an overwrite?

Don't use FS myself but... in Catznip, on the developer menu, under rendering there's an option for SSAO shadow smoothing, Perhaps your previous install had a similar feature enabled, and a clean install, means you need to set this again?

Clean install. My shadow soften setting is at the max. I apparently had shadow clarity bumped up (and it stuck through the install) as it wasn't at the default.    I have likely fixed the problem but looking at those shadow settings was a good tip. Thanks.  

The default setting for Shadow Clarity is 3.0 (low).
Your settings will persist  through a reinstall of the viewer unless you do a "clean" install - ie manually delete the Firestorm settings folder.

If anything looks odd with Shadows or Ambient Occlusion, go to World -> Photo & Video -> Phototools -> Light tab & click the D buttons next to all the shadow & AO settings to reset them to default.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

The default setting for Shadow Clarity is 3.0 (low).
Your settings will persist  through a reinstall of the viewer unless you do a "clean" install - ie manually delete the Firestorm settings folder.

If anything looks odd with Shadows or Ambient Occlusion, go to World -> Photo & Video -> Phototools -> Light tab & click the D buttons next to all the shadow & AO settings to reset them to default.

Unfortunately I tried all that. It was a clean install and the settings DID persist it seems as I did set clarity down to the default.  That wasn't it.   :D.  I have a work around, but as you probably saw on that other thread (haven't gotten to that yet) I am not the only one it seems. It isn't a big deal except that I ended up spending hours trying to fix "bad mesh" that wasn't bad at all LOL. At least now I will hopefully REMEMBER that it ISN'T ME :SwingingFriends:

Thanks.

Can you pass me the affected mesh & tell me which windlight sky you are using & how high an altitude your build platform is at? If it's a custom sky you can either paste the xml file or give me a slurl where you have the windlight set & I can come & grab the settings.

So just to clarify, resetting all the shadow settings & ambient occlusion settings to default in phototools didn't fix it? And you didn't test on the LL viewer yet?

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

but as you probably saw on that other thread (haven't gotten to that yet) I am not the only one it seems.

If you mean this thread....

...she's fixed now.  She had hardware skinning disabled on Firestorm, which causes those nasty blotchy shading effects on rigged mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.