Help! I Look Like The Exorcist!

Saoirse Morrisey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi:smileyhappy:,  I decided to try my hand at animations to see how difficult/easy it was.  I decided to start with a pretty basic "sunbathe" pose, laying down with one leg bent, and after a few tries, finally got there, using Qavimator btw.  So, I thought I would try to animate this pose a bit by starting off laying down then turning over on to stomach and back again to original pose.  It looked fine on the run through on Qavimator and on the upload screen on SL, but when I tried it on SL, the very last second of animation turns me into the exorcist!  

First, the av is laying down, looking correct, and suddenly "jumps" upwards from position, still laying, just moving up, then the head jams into the chest, you can barely see the face.  I have re done this animation a few times now, starting from scratch, and same thing happens.  I'm using a 90pps frame and have placed the "turnover" (when av is on the stomach) at 45 frame, then reverting back to first postion at 90 frame.

Any ideas how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Saoirse

• Like 1

Just imagine you'd look like the possessed girl :) The exorcist was actually pretty handsome, imho.

Joking aside, this can happen if your animation doesn't use all joints. The standard standing or sitting animations will kick in at some point and mix with your custom animation, changing all avatar joints that are not in use.

The SL client determines which joints are used or unused by comparing the first frame of your animation with the second frame. Which means that if you want to animate the entire body, without having the typing animation or other system animations mixed in, there needs to be a difference in the position and/or rotation of all joints between frame one and two.

The best way to achieve this is to start out with two frames. In frame one, leave the avatar in the basic T-pose, with all joint values set to zero. In frame two, which is the starting frame of the animation after the upload, apply your initial pose and make sure that all joints are slightly changed. For example, you could rotate the head by 5 and the neck by -5. Smaller changes might be ignored.

This way, the head remains in the same position, but you've indicated that both joints are used and can't have system animations applied to them. Afterwards, add additional frames and continue to animate your avatar starting with frame 3.

(At least that's how I'd do it in Poser. I assume that Qavimator is similar).

Edited to add: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_create_animations

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It took me awhile to figure out the magic of frame 2, but i still cannot override the default sitting position with my animation.  I'm using avimator and have created animations that work fine when standing or walking, but even at priority 4, only the top half of the body works I'm creating a scripted object where the user is animated when sitting.

Any ideas?  Do i need to find a different animation tool or is there something else going on?

Thanks,

Davide

Davide Petronius wrote:

It took me awhile to figure out the magic of frame 2, but i still cannot override the default sitting position with my animation.  I'm using avimator and have created animations that work fine when standing or walking, but even at priority 4, only the top half of the body works I'm creating a scripted object where the user is animated when sitting.

Any ideas?  Do i need to find a different animation tool or is there something else going on?

Thanks,

Davide

Well, there can only really be 2 reasons. The first being that the lower body parts are set to zero, assuming your Tframe is at all zeros. The 2nd reason being that the sit animation that you think is the default is not. Possibly, you are wearing an ao with a sit animation in it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4741 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.