A different kind of tipjar

TPGFred

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I have this idea and was hoping you could perhaps help.

What I'd like to create is essentially a tipjar anyone can donate money to. But what I want it to do is on a set interval, pay out the cash content randomly amongst the nearby people. I'm assuming this could be achieved by combining a coupe of rather simple scripts but I'm really new to scripting so don't know where to start.

A bonus feature that would make it even better, is if the random selection could be done only within a specified audience so for example a sign-up through a dialog box when clicking or similar.

So I could for example have individuals X, Y and Z in the room. All can donate. But only Y and Z have signed up for the random draw so only they can "win", not X.

Is this doable? Reasonably simple?

Appreciate any help! Thanks!

It's certainly doable, but it's a violation of the TOS.  Read the Gambling Policy: "It is a violation of this policy to wager in games in the Second Life® environment operated on Linden Lab servers if such games:

1. Rely on chance or random number generation to determine a winner,
    OR
  2. Rely on the outcome of real-life organized sporting events,

AND provide a payout in

1. Linden Dollars (L$)
    OR
  2. Any real-world currency or thing of value."

Yeah, you can have random-prize sploders and stuff, but if they have to pay in for a chance at a prize, it counts as gambling, unfortunately...

I've seen people all throw in donations towards a prize for a contest, but a lot of them weren't participating in the contest itself, so it wasn't really like a raffle or drawing or anything, just people helping to provide the prizes for the winners. And that was all in the context of a non-profit party, for fun.

If you're looking for a way to encourage people to spend time on a sim, you could just set up a sploder that every random so often kicks out a small (I've seen this before, and trust me, it's usually very small) prize to a random person present, which could be covered by a percentage of sim donations (or sales, iunno what your sim's about) rather than making it like a lotto machine.

Or even better, just provide a fun environment with enough interesting stuff to make people want to hang out there and come back again. Then you won't have to rely on people trying to make spare lindens to keep people around. Believe it or not, people who are scrambling to make every little linden dollar they can are usually not your best bet for traffic, anyway... at least if you're trying to use your traffic to help pay your tier. <-<;

• Like 1

I made a game along these lines but only the owner pays out so you set a prize amount anyone or group only click to join then after a set time it selects a winner at random and pays them this way its with in the terms of use as players don't pay to play works a treat to generate traffic but as the owner you pay the prize amount :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2492 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.