Wear-on-Teleport Script

K4T12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yooo.

I've seen some cool teleport effects in my short time on Second Life. People teleporting into a sim with arcane symbols, coloured particles, and cool sound effects.

Inspired by these, I've been trying to put together a script that will attach a particular item to my avatar (it's a rotating spiral of magic symbols) when I teleport or am teleported. 

Now, I have next to no scripting knowledge and everything I've tried thus far has involved cannibalizing and sewing together free full-use scripts. As you can guess, I haven't gotten anywhere.

Is what I'm trying to do actually possible?

No, you can't really use a script to attach the item to your avatar when you arrive, unless you're using RLV (and since you say you're comparatively new to scripting, that might not be the way to go.

What I'd do, though, which is going to be far more reliable and a lot simpler, is to wear the attachment all the time.   I can use the changed event to detect when I've teleported and then, when I have, use llSetAlphallParticleSystem and llPlaySound to turn on the special effects.  At the same time, I call llSetTimerEvent to specify how long I want the show to last and then, then the timer event fires, use llSetAlpha and the rest to make my attachment invisible again and turn off the sounds and particles.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

I created something similar by accident before I learned to stop automatic emission of particles when I teleported somewhere... Imagine my embarrassment when I'd show up somewhere and immediately announce my appearance by farting butterflies all over the place... <-<;

Most fancy teleporters I've seen tend to rely on particles for all of their effects, but for stuff like the swirling pentacle effect or rotating whirls of symbols, yeah, you'll want a rotating prim attached to you and just keep it invisible when it's not being used for the effect. My first magic spellcasting effect ended up relying on this very thing, once I decided I'd had enough of the giant prim rezzing in front of me and wobbling all stupidly like it was about to fall over. xD

Edited by Berksey
Typo... <-<;
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.