About me?

Ian Undercroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If  someone has "here for fun" in their 'about me' section i avoid them.  Why don't they just put, "here for no strings sex" and be done with it?  Ditto, the "no drama" qualification.

I dislike quotations, but even worse are the well-worn homilies and profiles that talk down to me or try to tell me how to behave in SL. 

I laugh at those who describe themselves as "intelligent" or "cerebral" since they invariably turn out not to be.   Those qualities do not need stating; if they exist they are self-evident.

And please don't get me started about those profiles which comprise tab after tab of BDSM do's and don'ts.  It's boring as hell.  We are not all here to "get off", after all.  Interesting people have more than one interest.

Some good advice there.  I hadn't thought about where my pics were taken and that it could be followed. I agree that negativity/ aggressiveness in a profile will send me to another location or avi quickly.

I have been in SL off and on for a year.  Filling in the profile is definitely personal preference.  Reading a filled in profile will sometimes help me jump into conversation.  I take more time to get the feel of a conversation if I don't have any idea who I am talking to (yes, this includes RP'ers - I just play along in that case). I take profiles at face value.  If that is who you want to be, then that is how I will I will treat you.

I suppose if you have enough friends and don't need anymore, then filling in the profile is not that important.  If you are very outgoing and jump into chats easily, then filling in the profile is pointless.  Your personality will come through.  Otherwise, a little bit about you is a nice bit of information for the rest of us.  It helps us know how to adapt to your personality or the situation.

Although I tend to take profiles with a grain of salt, I do prefer it when someone has put something in them. Sometimes it helps by showing there is a common interest or they are into something that I find interesting and would like to know more about. Being a musician and stating so in my profile has led to several gigs.

And the bad ones tell me just as much as the good ones.....grins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.