development and beta viewers are CPU killers

Jonna Korhonen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Has anyone else noticed the development and beta viewers are CPU killers? I can run two instances of the current LL viewer (2-6-1-225680) with relative ease. Running two of the beta (2-6-3-225685) or two of the development (2-6-4-226210) pushes my CPU to 100% immediately and both grind to a halt. I'm new to using beta and development viewers, is this just they way they are or should this be a concern?

Second Life 2.6.4 (226210) Apr  9 2011 21:23:23 (Second Life Development)
Release Notes

You are at 257,617.0, 195,598.0, 72.2 in Cuervo located at sim20107.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.26.120:13005)
Second Life Server 11.03.29.225234
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (2660.01 MHz)
Memory: 4088 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 260/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6658
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 3/6,628 (0.0%)

They -are- CPU killers and a big steaming pile.
I'm on Linux, AMD Athlon II X2 CPU, 4 gigs memory, ATI Radeon HD4200...
Yet when I run just one instance of the current LL viewer, it will barely get past the log-in screen before it trashes my system.
So, no more LL viewer for me, hello third-party alternatives that do the job just fine.

(Meaning I can simultaneously run two instances of an Imprudence-based viewer, and one Coolviewer... probably a second Coolviewer too but then I'd have to sign up on yet another grid - Third-party viewers score 3, LL viewer score 0.)

I don't think this is a massive reason for concern. The thing about beta software is that they are not finished - they are still being developed. The SL viewer is not exception to this. Ther will be areas of the viewer that are less than optimised, but that hopefully will be more resource friendly by the time it is released as a finished version. If you feel this is something that should be pointed out specifically, then I suggest you file a jira at http://jira.secondlife.com/. You could post a link to it here for a chance that more people will see it, and maybe 'watch' it (which is used as one measure of interest among the residents for a report).

I haven't really noticed the processor on my Mac running at a higher level than with the production viewer, but I'll make sure to check if I notice any difference.

- Luc -

Cesar Spearsong wrote:

They -are- CPU killers and a big steaming pile.

I'm on Linux, AMD Athlon II X2 CPU, 4 gigs memory, ATI Radeon HD4200...

Yet when I run just one instance of the current LL viewer, it will barely get past the log-in screen before it trashes my system.

That sound kind of like STORM-809. Which is fixed now.

It might be smart to give it some more time. As I said above, betas are under development - although closer to a finalized version than not - so some issues are expected to remain. This could be one of the ones that is going to change before a final version. If LL release another beta, you might get better results.

Also, like I said before, I'll keep an eye on this on my own system, and perhaps other will do the same. Always good to get data from more observations in any case.

- Luc -

• 4 months later...

Jonna, it's the v2 code, ANY v2 code, not just betas, and not just LL viewers, either. v2 code just does not like multi CPUs, duals or quads either. Of course this is a pure flaw on LLs part, as so many people are now on duals and quads, and is completely ridiculous. They are pushing everyone to go to v2, and it's STILL not ready for prime time!

I have to agree a little. I have a quad core, 3.5 GHz CPU so I can run SL and three other 3D programs without an issue, but I watch V2 code viewers run core 4 all the way to 100% on that thing. Which is insane, because even if it were a single core, that's still more than double the recommended system requirements...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.