Computer buying help

isis Grashnar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Im looking to buy a new computer to hook up to my flat screen. My question is what is the best specs to look for? I love games like Sims 3,2 and 1. Also second life. I want to make sure what I get will be able to work for these types of games. Also, which would be better to get, a desktop or a laptop?

Thanks much for responding. Can you explain why wireless is not good in this circumstance? also i want to get something to hook to my tv and use that as the monitor. What is your opinion on the tv for a monitor?

@rolig what are the resolution and refresh rates i should be looking for?

While it is certainly possible to get a TV screen that will do the job, most TV screens do not have the resolution or refresh rate that a good monitor designed for computer use will have.

19 answers to this question

You're likely to get all sorts of answers to this one, but my advice woiuld be to look first at SL's recommended specifications and be sure that you exceed them. SL is more demanding than many (most?) on-line games, so you will probably do best if you aim there first.  In general, a desktop is likely to run SL better than a laptop, but very high end laptops can handle it well.  Don't plan on using wireless if you want top performance with either, though.  The most important system components to shop for are your graphics card and your monitor.  Put your money into those (and be sure that you have a power supply and ventilation system to match).

• Like 1

Additionally, review the recommended specs for any other game you play so that you can get the best system to fit all needs.  I also play WoW and, when I purchase any new computer I make sure that it will fit the needs of everything for which I intend to use it.

In that case, I would personally put my money into upgrading the graphics card for my existing computer, assuming that your power supply will handle it. $1,000 isn't likely to get you a satisfactory computer for what you want, but improving your graphics card might.

isis Grashnar wrote:

Thanks much for responding. Can you explain why wireless is not good in this circumstance? also i want to get something to hook to my tv and use that as the monitor. What is your opinion on the tv for a monitor?

SL demands a lot of bandwidth, and wireless connections generally can't support the same level of service that a direct cable connection can.  That's especially true if you are planning to run SL in a public wifi environment.  The next guy in Starbucks and all your dorm neighbors will be competing for bandwidth with you, and SL will crawl or freeze a lot. You'll find that a lot of the peopl who complain about low frame rate and frequent crashes are using wireless.

After the graphics card, the next most important component of your system for getting good graphics is your monitor. While it is certainly possible to get a TV screen that will do the job, most TV screens do not have the resolution or refresh rate that a good monitor designed for computer use will have.  You may find that the image will not be as sharp as you hoped, and it will have ghost images as it tries to refresh fast enough to keep up with the data stream from SL.  Again, though, some top of the line TV screens can probably handle it, but most aren't designed for that purpose.

thanks all for your input. very helpful when i go shopping.

@rolig loon im looking for my own for my bedroom. right now i share the desktop with my children and i wanted something to go in my bedroom. Thanks for all your help and input. good info to look into before i purchase.

With regards to a TV you'd want to get one that at a minimum can do 720p60, 1080p60 would be better. Honestly I don't think getting a TV is the best option. Many computer monitors come with TV inputs these days so you can hook them up to DVD players and cable boxes, they just don't have tuners so they can't get over the air signals. All 24" monitors can do 1080p/1200p @ 60Hz and good ones only cost ~$350. 

Even in your own home, wireless is likely to yield lower performance. Things other than your computer (cell phones, garage door openers, even your microwave) can compete for wifi bandwidth. As for resolution and refresh rates, I can't quote numbers, I'm afraid. You could do some comparative research on your own, though, by going on line to someplace like www.newegg.com and reading the specs for a lot of monitors and flat-screen TVs to see what they look like.

The answer to each of your questions is going to end up as "It depends." Everyone has different expectations, and it would be foolish for me to tell you to buy something that would satisfy me. The best that I can do is tell you what sorts of things to look for so that you are a knowledgeable shopper. You will have to decide for yourself how sharp an image you want, how smoothly you want things to change, and how much money you are willing to spend to get there. Most of us, I suspect, have upgraded a few times as we have learned more and have become more sophisticated users. Do your best research and shopping now, and see how it works. You have to start somewhere.

MacBook Pro with upgraded video and ram and you will never have a problem running SL or any other game for that matter again!! As far as the wireless thing goes I have heard of many people talking about how wireless will cause all kinds of problems, I so far in my situation have not had a problem with that. Furthermore I found out the other day that somehow I had gotten connected to someone's wireless signal from another home nearby that did not have security on it. I had been connected to it for a few days and did not notice any difference whatsoever. So as far as wireless or wire I would just make sure you have a good fast connection and I am sure you will be fine! Hope this helps :D

• Like 1

Thanks ive been leaning towards a mac but not familiar with the workings of it. Im use to a pc. but i added it to the list of things to check out when i go to buy. Ive had dell computers only so far. But was thinking of going to best buy to see what they had.

I understand how you feel about the fear of not knowing where everything is like you know on a PC. The MacStore has a great service called One-To-One, it costs $99.00 at the time of your computer purchase but is well worth it if you've been a PC person, it will allow you to attend Mac classes at the store and to ask any question you want about your Mac and will help with any of the problems you have as far as how to use it in a basic mode or advanced! You will find very quickly that Windows is made after Mac not the other way around and that it is very intuitive :D I hope with whatever you choose you have a great SL experience.

Hehehe.... This feels like one of those old-time Mac vs. PC wars. I have my own preferences, but they're not relevant here. :) If you are buying a new computer, the best advice is always to consider all options, ask lots of questions, try out demos to get the feel of the machines, and make up your own mind. In this particular case, be sure that the salesperson you talk to understands that you want a gaming machine that meets or exceeds the recommended standards for each game/VW you will be running. If you can, get the salesperson to actually load up SL on a demo machine so you can see that it works. Good luck with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.