Customer writes negative reviews for not wanting to refund him (it wasn't a double purchase)

Kendra Parfort

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, entity0x said:

I appreciate your anecdotal opinions as responses, but in general, review sites utilizing star ratings are usually 5 star or 1 star reviews.

It's either extreme, just go look up some statistics on the internet, and why star ratings are fallacious and pointless, and why many companies including Facebook and YouTube no longer, or do not continue to use such systems.

Example: 5 star ratings systems are useless

As for my own 'anecdotal' experience which forms my personal opinion, most ratings I get on products are either 5 star or 1 star as well, with a dash of (5 stars - "i didn't like the color so take away 1 point") style reviews that do nothing to help improve or critique products.

In the end though, any rating system is pointless if the reviewer doesn't provide context or constructive feedback as to how to improve the product.

Well, if its on the internet, it must be true :)

I agree that the review system is flawed, however I would like to suggest that its not the place for constructive feedback and critique. A consumer's role is to buy your product, not give advice on how to improve it. If they do give good feedback, consider it a bonus. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IvanBenjammin said:

A consumer's role is to buy your product, not give advice on how to improve it. If they do give good feedback, consider it a bonus. 

Yes, that's one of the few genuine improvements of the new MP search.

In the old system the ratings were very important for relevance ranking. That's why merchants went to such lenghts to get good reviews and get rid of bad ones, they really, really made a difference to sales figures. It was also the reason why old outdated items tended to be higher ranked than new improved ones - the longer an item had been listed, tte more time it had to accumulate customer ratings.

I wouldn't dream of calling the new MP search good. It's still based on concepts that went out of style when Google and Fast turned up and flattened all the old web search engines and even the best search algorithms in the world would struggle making something meaningful out of the madness of data MP can provide. But with the significance of customer ratings reduced and with the constant tweaks LL seems to have made, I think it's safe to say now that it's not as bad as the old one.

Get rid of that useless and annoying autofill and I might even go as far as calling it ok. ;) (Special message to G. Linden. If you read this, remember that programming is creative work and that means the golden rule for all creative work applies: Kill your darlings!)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, entity0x said:

I appreciate your anecdotal opinions as responses, but in general, review sites utilizing star ratings are usually 5 star or 1 star reviews.

It's either extreme, just go look up some statistics on the internet, and why star ratings are fallacious and pointless, and why many companies including Facebook and YouTube no longer, or do not continue to use such systems.

Example: 5 star ratings systems are useless

As for my own 'anecdotal' experience which forms my personal opinion, most ratings I get on products are either 5 star or 1 star as well, with a dash of (5 stars - "i didn't like the color so take away 1 point") style reviews that do nothing to help improve or critique products.

In the end though, any rating system is pointless if the reviewer doesn't provide context or constructive feedback as to how to improve the product.

With YouTube and Facebook you aren't buying anything, nor is there a practical need to make a choice. It's not like we need to select only one video of a cat with its head in a potato-chip bag out of all the options out there. Five star ratings could then appear "useless" for that sort of thing.

The Marketplace isn't that sort of thing. You're paying for something and it would probably be a waste of money to buy everything in a category and then pick your favorite from things you've already spent money on. It's much closer to Amazon, which usually does have a reasonable number of 4, 3 and 2 star ratings.

Someone saying that they don't like the color of something you made that they bought may be an opportunity for you to reflect on your texturing and/or product photography skills. Or, of course, it could be an opportunity to get on the Forums and complain. Up to you.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.