SL Shark Tank

Ima Rang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm addicted to the show Shark Tank.  Do you think it would work in SL?  Is it already working in SL? 

Would you be willing to invest some start up cash to a SL creator who may be short of the funds necessary to bring his/her digital dream to fruition, but has a fabulous idea that might become the next SL trend or craze?  

Are there even creators out there who have this issue given the relatively low expense of doing business in SL? 

Share thoughts or just fun ideas that you had but did not have the money, time, or skill/expertise to move them forward?

I love that show!

Nonetheless I would never invest in any business in SL that is not my own for the simple fact that SL business is not RL business. Anybody can call themeselves a business person in SL and there is no need to have money to start a business in SL.

In RL I would though because rl is...well rl.

@Peter. Shark tank is basically a reality show where people come to pitch their ideas (some new invention, concept or product) to a group of wealthy investors in an attempt to raise enough caipital to start the business or in some cases sell them the business entirely. During this week's episode a man turned down $4Million from an investor who wanted to outright buy out his company.

George Orellana wrote:

@Peter. Shark tank is basically a reality show where people come to pitch their ideas (some new invention, concept or product) to a group of wealthy investors in an attempt to raise enough caipital to start the business or in some cases sell them the business entirely. During this week's episode a man turned down $4Million from an investor who wanted to outright buy out his company.

I was so proud of that guy!

I would invest in a digital dream, but just like I do in RL, I would require to see milestone achievements before I forked over the entire motherload of funding.  I think it could be fun and bring a new something to do in SL. 

I bought a business years ago in SL, a fashion business that had loads of potential growth, the person that sold me it was about to leave SL and would after transferring everything to me delete his part........ ofcourse that last bit never happened and many other people got scammed the same way ....:smileysad: ...... how good the idea would be today, I never would invest in another digital dream ... *meows*

Wildcat Furse wrote:

I bought a business years ago in SL, a fashion business that had loads of potential growth, the person that sold me it was about to leave SL and would after transferring everything to me delete his part........ ofcourse that last bit never happened and many other people got scammed the same way ....:smileysad: ...... how good the idea would be today, I never would invest in another digital dream ... *meows*

Hmmm...not good.  I suppose it would be difficult to RP an investor in SL :) 

This game already exists in SL.  I've played it a few times.  The investors want you naked and on a rack 24/7 just for a couple L$, and then they don't give you enough and then they demand their money back.  Keep in mind L$25,000 is only about $100USD.  If they've only given you that much you can keep it, it covers the hour or so spent in time just meeting with them.

Ackley Bing wrote:

This game already exists in SL.  I've played it a few times.  The investors want you naked and on a rack 24/7 just for a couple L$, and then they don't give you enough and then they demand their money back.  Keep in mind L$25,000 is only about $100USD.  If they've only given you that much you can keep it, it covers the hour or so spent in time just meeting with them.

Interesting.  So a second life content creator commands at least $100 USD per hour wage?  Considering the minimal cost of items in SL and the low ROI, $100 USD could be considered considerable bank for most.   

What specifically do you think the creator was not "given enough for?"

Ima Rang wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

Interesting.  So a second life content creator commands at least $100 USD per hour wage?  Considering the minimal cost of items in SL and the low ROI, $100 USD could be considered considerable bank for most.   

Yes, behind every avatar is a RL person.  Designer's want at least 50/hour or they probably aren't even worth it.  You get what you pay for.  You can get minimal cost items yes, even from me.  But when you want a custom project (needs funding) then expect RL prices.

Ackley Bing wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

Yes, behind every avatar is a RL person.  Designer's want at least 50/hour or they probably aren't even worth it.  You get what you pay for.  You can get minimal cost items yes, even from me.  But when you want a custom project (needs funding) then expect RL prices.

dream on.

Ackley Bing wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

Well that seems pricey to me, but I'm sure someone might be willing to pay that for a custom project.  At those prices you could buy the software and take classes and learn to do it yourself what with the money you would spend in a week or so.  I assume that is more the exception than the norm? 

I was speaking more about investing in someones dream or invention as opposed to funding a custom project.  They pitch an idea to a group or an individual and that group or individual funds an amount with an expectation of a return on their investment...perhaps even a ongoing royalty if the investment is of a sizeable sum of cash. 

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

dream on.

This is why most of SL (businesses) looks like a slum or messy kids lego playpen.  People with $100 to spend (L$25,000) think they're investors.  LOL!

Alt=:smileywink:

Ima Rang wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Ackley Bing wrote:

Well that seems pricey to me, but I'm sure someone might be willing to pay that for a custom project.  At those prices you could buy the software and take classes and learn to do it yourself what with the money you would spend in a week or so.  I assume that is more the exception than the norm? 

I was speaking more about investing in someones dream or invention as opposed to funding a custom project.  They pitch an idea to a group or an individual and that group or individual funds an amount with an expectation of a return on their investment...perhaps even a ongoing royalty if the investment is of a sizeable sum of cash. 

$50/hr is not pricey for a designer's time.  I'm talking about a real Designer with professional experience, not someone with an avatar claiming to be a designer.

Look at any honest real world businesses with a presence in SL.  I doubt they paid their designers/builders less than $25/hr.  25 is for the cheap designers fresh out of college with no experience.  35-50 is for the pros.  Higher than that for established designers who are too busy with projects to waste time on people who want to hire them for less.

A realistic investor knows this and wouldn't consider investing in a project that doesn't have a realistic budget.

Ima Rang wrote:

I assumed you were talking about SL investors and SL sharks, so the projects would probably be SL related and my experience along those lines is related to design.  There are other types of projects sure, most of them would require programming LSL.  Again you're talking about requiring RL skills: coding.  RL Time: programmer hours.  I don't know of any programmer who will bid for less than $25/hour unless they're inexperienced (in which case the project is probably going to fail.)

Alt=:smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.