Cinema 4d problem with bake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all :)

Are many days that I've problems with bake in c4d.

I've objects in metal and when I try to bake them I've textures totally black.

Render settings is in hdr, rendering is perfect, when I try to bake the texture I can see the reflection but with bake object doesn't works.

I'm not familiar with Blender since i use Autodesk 3Ds Max but what i do know is, are you trying to bake Diffuse or a Complete map (not sure if that's a thing in Blender) Because metal in diffuse (also on PBR such as Ndo2/Substance Painter) the diffuse of metal will always be black, the metal look will come from either a meal/rough workflow or spec/gloss. Basically a metal/rough workflow will make the object's surface look like metal with a metalness and roughness map, the spec/gloss will do the same but with a specular & glossiness map. Hope i informed enough & correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm using cinema 4d... Material that I used have only 2 channels one for colour and one for reflection, into this for reflection I've used also fresnel and into render is all ok, I see the metal with all brightness and reflection and I see them also when I bake the texture and select the reflection channel... but is only with bake object that I've a black texture, is this the problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If you bake colors and do not do a full illumination bake, the texture comes out black because that-s what a diffuse texture for metal is: black. Metals have no diffuse components and their color is represented in the specular color map. 

I don't use C4D, i'm Maya user, but i would suggest to find a bake type called along the line of "Full Illumination", "Diffuse Lighting" or "Render to Texture" to achieve your bakes.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.