SL viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I know there are alternative viewers before you suggest that...what I want to know is why can't SL get their own viewer right? Everytime they send a mandatory update I have to fight it for days and sometimes I just have to use an alternate viewer....BUT....WHY???!!!!

This is what the auto updater does according to Oz Linden:

By default, the viewer checks for an update when it is launched (even before you log in), and then once an hour after that.

If you have not logged in yet, it downloads any update as fast as it can... once you're logged in, it throttles that download so as not to affect your viewer performance.  If you disconnect before the download is complete, it will try to resume where it left off. The combination can mean that you can get the update any time during your session (especially if you have a slower net connection).

You should be able to decline to install an update if you're already logged in... if you do, it will do the update automatically on your next viewer launch.

However, it's quite common for the auto updater to bork the update so just switch off the auto updater feature. When an update is available and you wish to, or have to, update, uninstall your viewer then download the latest viewer from the download page and install it. Your settings will remain unless you manually delete the viewer folder in AppData - Roaming. You should not experience any issues this way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2898 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.