is there a limit to how many physics you can have in a parcel? Blake Sea area.

xoxoxSASSYxoxox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Physical objects put a heavy demand on the servers, so it's always wise to keep them at a minimum.  I think it's more likely that you are running up against the L.I. limit for the parcel, though. Take a look at how much free L.I. allowance you have in the parcel before you rez the boat.  If your boat is going to exceed that number, it won't rez.

Now, your boat might disappear as you cross the region boundary because the new server is slow to get all of the information about your boat and pass it back to your viewer.  If it's a very detailed mesh boat, it could just be really hard to render fast. Sadly, many amateur builders or artists who have learned to create mesh for static games do not appreciate the importance of keeping a low vertex count in SL. 

2 answers to this question

Physical objects put a heavy demand on the servers, so it's always wise to keep them at a minimum.  I think it's more likely that you are running up against the L.I. limit for the parcel, though. Take a look at how much free L.I. allowance you have in the parcel before you rez the boat.  If your boat is going to exceed that number, it won't rez.

Now, your boat might disappear as you cross the region boundary because the new server is slow to get all of the information about your boat and pass it back to your viewer.  If it's a very detailed mesh boat, it could just be really hard to render fast. Sadly, many amateur builders or artists who have learned to create mesh for static games do not appreciate the importance of keeping a low vertex count in SL. 

xoxoxSASSYxoxox wrote:

[ .... ]

**  We have plenty of prims and L.I.  for this parcel. According to the Land/Object we have over 400 left when this boat is rezzed.  **

That's odd.  How many prims does your boat have?  The upper limit for a physical object is 32. If you try to link more than that, you get a message that says something like "Object has too many primitives -- its dynamics have been disabled."  That 32 prim limit includes passengers, so each person who sits on the boat counts as another prim in the linkset.  So .... if your boat is pretty close to the limit, you might be able to rez it but then not be able to use it as soon as you seat too many people on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.