Can I get a virus from landmarks / Visiting Certain sims?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Wedger,

Nope, you can't get a virus from landmarks, notecards, objects, anything in-world really. Those are all things that happen within the viewer and the SL grid. They can't leak out into your computer. Scripted attachments and objects can give you grief in-world, so you should be careful with those. Be particularly mindful of the warning dialog that pops up when something asks permission to debit your account.

I think the biggest danger is probably phishing attacks, where someone or something tries to get you to access an external website that might look like an SL web property. Such sites can be convincing enough to get folks to type their login credentials there, allowing people even more nefarious than me (if that's possible) to take over their accounts.

I have heard of people accepting objects from people you don't know and the object can mess things up and or take L$ out of your account. New people are always warned not to accept anything from people they don't know. As for sim causing a viras no but some sims are often so laggy that it can crash your system and or SL.

Christin73 wrote:

I have heard of people accepting objects from people you don't know and the object can mess things up and or take L$ out of your account. New people are always warned not to accept anything from people they don't know. As for sim causing a viras no but some sims are often so laggy that it can crash your system and or SL.

Just accepting an object will not do that. Objects that can take L$ out of your balance are scripted and will ask for permission first. Only if the user is.....unaware enough to blindly click agree, he/she loses their L$.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.