Creating Textures for Mesh Jewelry Templates

Jeannedellalune Prudhomme

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings Meshers!

I am interested in creating textures for mesh jewelry templates. Yes, I know there's criticism about that, but my skill is with PS and not Blender or Maya. Maybe some day ...

I have found that there is no good, definitive explanation for creating textures with PS and importing to SL, except in bits and pieces on the forum and starting here: http://nakedmesh.blogspot.com/p/mesh-faqs.html

Some templates come with PSDs, most don't, I have found.

Please let me know if I have this correct::

1) download the ambient/shadow map to PS ( I have seen it referred to as both terms) and open;

2) load texture above the map in Layers and blend both using "multiple" mode (at this point, I've been adding my own alpha designs, which seems to work ok);

3)Save and import into SL as png or tga;

Several questions: how do I get shine on the object? I've tried loading the shadow/ambient map in the Texture/Shine frame, which sorta works, though the mesh object looks transparent sometimes. Do I need to make specular map, and if so, how? what kind of settings do I need? do I need a glossy map? what settings?

Also, what's the point of the UV layout map for what I'm doing, except it lets me see where to place stuff. Do I need it for anything else?

One last question: best SL prim shape for the creator's/root prim? size? do I need to make it phantom as well as invisible?

Thank you for any and all responses. I appreciate your help. It would be very nice if creators who sell templates would give us a Basics 101.

Jeannedellalune Prudhomme wrote:

Greetings Meshers!

I am interested in creating textures for mesh jewelry templates. Yes, I know there's criticism about that, but my skill is with PS and not Blender or Maya. Maybe some day ...

I have found that there is no good, definitive explanation for creating textures with PS and importing to SL, except in bits and pieces on the forum and starting here: 

Some templates come with PSDs, most don't, I have found.

Please let me know if I have this correct::

1) download the ambient/shadow map to PS ( I have seen it referred to as both terms) and open;

2) load texture above the map in Layers and blend both using "multiple" mode (at this point, I've been adding my own alpha designs, which seems to work ok);

3)Save and import into SL as png or tga;

Several questions: how do I get shine on the object? I've tried loading the shadow/ambient map in the Texture/Shine frame, which sorta works, though the mesh object looks transparent sometimes. Do I need to make specular map, and if so, how? what kind of settings do I need? do I need a glossy map? what settings?

Also, what's the point of the UV layout map for what I'm doing, except it lets me see where to place stuff. Do I need it for anything else?

One last question: best SL prim shape for the creator's/root prim? size? do I need to make it phantom as well as invisible?

Thank you for any and all responses. I appreciate your help. It would be very nice if creators who sell templates would give us a Basics 101.

To get a specular map on your jewelry (remember not everyone can see this) you would take your finished ambient map (the one where you added the textures) and make a specular map. There are several programs that do this. I use ShaderMap 2. There is also something called CrazyBump (or a similar name). If you are using Photoshop there is apparently a free program that goes with photoshop that will make maps for you. (I use another program so know nothing about that).

You can also add subtle shine by using "BLANK" as the specular map. Remember again though only those with Advanced Lighting on will see the shine, so it is really best to "fake" the shine using high contrast in your graphics program.

The UV map is often included as some folk prefer to draw on the map rather than adding textures to the ambient. So in essence they make there own ambient map with shading according to their tastes. If you are using the ambient map, you don't need the UV.

A root prim can be any shape. or size. It is simply to make the item show as "yours" so that questions about your product go to YOU and not the mesh maker. In furniture the creator prim is often a shadow prim, but in jewelry something smaller would certainly make more sense.

Hope that helps some.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.