Tattoo appliers disappearing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few things before I think might be useful before I start: 

• I have a Maitreya body
  • The tattoos are visable to everyone else but me
  • I'm using Firestorm
  • I'm still pretty new to SL (currently about a month and a half new).

Every time I teleport to a different place, the appliers are no longer visable for me, and I have to clear all of my other applier layers to be able to see them again. I've had the tatttos for a few weeks now, and haven't had this problem until just a couple days ago.

I tried contacting the owner of the shop I bought them from, but she doesn't speak english very well. That, on top of the fact that I'm still new and trying to figure things out made fixing the problem a lot more complicated. She mentioned something about rezzing a new body since mine was buggy? And alsp something about clearing my cache? 

I know I kinda sound totally clueless, but I could really use any kind of help... Thanks.

khateleesi wrote:

A few things before I think might be useful before I start: 
  • I have a Maitreya body
  • The tattoos are visable to everyone else but me
  • I'm using Firestorm
  • I'm still pretty new to SL (currently about a month and a half new).

Every time I teleport to a different place, the appliers are no longer visable for me, and I have to clear all of my other applier layers to be able to see them again. I've had the tatttos for a few weeks now, and haven't had this problem until just a couple days ago.

I tried contacting the owner of the shop I bought them from, but she doesn't speak english very well. That, on top of the fact that I'm still new and trying to figure things out made fixing the problem a lot more complicated. She mentioned something about rezzing a new body since mine was buggy? And alsp something about clearing my cache? 

I know I kinda sound totally clueless, but I could really use any kind of help... Thanks.

Are you wearing anything on either your underwear or clothing layers? There are two modes for each layer for most mesh bodies - one is a standard "blended" mode that will show the items with transparency and one is a "mask" mode where every pixel of that item is either 100% on or 100% off. If your tattoos are on layer set to standard-mode (which is typical because it looks best with fine details like in many tattoos) and you're wearing something on another standard-mode layer over that then the tattoo will tend to disappear even if the item on the outer layer isn't covering the tattoo because the rendering engine gets confused about what should be visible. If this is the problem the solution is to change the underwear or clothing layers to "mask" mode.

• 1 year later...

I'll just respond on this one since this is the same issue I am looking in to. I am wondering if the issue is with Firestorm because my wife has the same mesh body and some of her tats vanish on her sometimes and she has to reset and I see them vanish on my end as well. If I am on Singularity though they never vanish on my end. So is it possible either there is an issue with the Firestorm viewer or a setting or something that can be done to solve that issue if your on that viewer?

Edited by Velk Kerang

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Try turning off any unused layers on your hud dexter.

If your tattoos are blend, and you have your clothing layer also showing as blend, then you will likely see the tattoos dissapear.

This fixed it for me on the Gianni body. works great too if you have multiple tattoos on each layer. just turn off that part and turn blend to mask. no more glitching.

On 1/2/2018 at 6:48 PM, Callum Meriman said:

Try turning off any unused layers on your hud dexter.

If your tattoos are blend, and you have your clothing layer also showing as blend, then you will likely see the tattoos dissapear.

I was checking back to see if there was ever a fix for this issue and true that works for some and that's great and all, but like I said in my last post on Firestorm they disappear even having done what you suggested and when on another viewer such as Singularity for example they show up fine. This is a non-issue on any other viewer. So it either way it's still a Firestorm issue. So I guess I'll ask and this is to anyone really, has there been a fix discovered for this problem as of yet? O.o

Ok I have an update for anyone interested in this issue. I worked out a temporary fix if you use Firestorm. It does have to do with the way Firestorm renders textures in that viewer. Most viewers rezz textures at a compressed resolution if I recall right and if you go in to the Developer menu and scroll down to Rendering and check Full Rezz Textures it will stop rebaking issues people have and the tattoos will no longer disappear. This will load ingame textures at their full resolution. That being said I generally only have this enabled when I am at home. I would not have it enabled while tping about to large sims and such. Also you have to turn it on each time you log in because by default the viewer turns it off automatically. This is the only current fix I know and have found for this issue. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Velk Kerang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2239 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.