Texture corruption/ log in issues.

mcglam0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Within the last 30 days, I have been experiencing frequent texture corruption, as well as log in failure with the message that my region is logging out. Also, no matter what viewer I use,  SL crashes and stops working.

5 answers to this question

The two problems may not be related, but it sounds like you may be struggling with texture thrashing.  Your graphics card's memory is being overloaded with cached textures and is failing to release them.  In theory, you should never need to use more than 512 mB of graphics RAM, but apparently some images on your user interface cause problems. Textures get blurry, focus and refocus all the time.  You can get temporary relief by relogging, but it comes back after a while.  Nalates has a nice, short blog post on the problem, along with suggestions that might help you >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2013/08/17/second-life-texture-thrashing/

• Like 2

It's generally a bad idea to have more then one antivirus software running at the same time.

So yes, if McAffee is in use I would uninstall Webroot.

Once Webroot is uninstalled, you should clear your viewer cache. You only need to do this once to get rid of all the corrupted textures that fetched with Webroot+Pipelining.

On the LL viewer: Me -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Clear cache -> OK -> Restart the viewer.

On Firestorm viewer: Avatar -> Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories -> Clear Cache -> Apply -> OK -> Restart the viewer.

Does this fix the problem?

• Like 1

I was not able to totally uninstall Webroot. However, a curious thing happened yesterday. I decided to travel around to other regions and noticed there were almost negligible texture issues wherever I went compared to my home region. At that point I deleted those settings that were advised previously. Lo and behold, after I signed back in to SL everything was working normally. Go figure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.