So I am trying to surround the media hot question

examining

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I go first right, then left, go back, come front.

It's a tough one, am afraid I won't do anything no matter how I'll try.

So I used to have a rezzed tv viewer bought for 10 lindens,  could alright access the internet and see the first pages of some video channels but no regular uninterrupted video anyway.  So I let aside the tv, dealing with other priorities.  Finally I unrezzed this and got a radio, I hear I must deed it to the group.  (The tv previously mentionned clearly it does not need to deed).

Then somebody sent me a present today, a tv-radio set that also needs deed ( I believe I read it in the instructions).

But when I'm ni firestorm I cannot even hear the estate's music (the one that the landlord I guess chooses for the whole territory unless if it's different for each estate), anyway I can listen to the music others choose when I'm in sl viewer while with Firestorm not.  All music cases checked and put to the maximum top right of the viewers.

I listen alright voices (in places that I visit) and all sounds (in my sim and elsewhere).

I thought to check my computers video and music listening and vieweing capacity as I understand that sl video is somehow connected with firefox.  Which I have installed and see alright videos and movies.  (The computer by the way, fully updated with windows 10 version 1511 fully updated security suite, and vpn the last one when I'm out of sl).

So

1) How I can deed a radio or a tv to my group?  It's already set to the group and the deed button is deactivated.

2) Why I can listen to the estate music with sl viewer but not with Firestorm?

P.S. I pressed after all the deed button in the edit of the current radio I have (thought to try this first before the newly obtained tv-radio set) and it said "if you press this button the radio will give or take -do not remember- money to this group."  I pressed anyway, now it's again deactivated -dim- and nothing else happens.  The radio does not function.  I sent a notecard to the owner-seller, its a freebie anyway and not everyone has the patience to deal with all sorts of newbies problems like people on this forum, so she never answered back.

It's not a money question I flashed down the toilet lots of money already I just do not want to buy an expensive tv when do not know how to make it function, I read in this forum others who did so and am reluctant.  And read also that seeing tv in sl s tricky.

2 answers to this question

Lets deal with the music side of things first as this is a lot simpler than the video media.

If you can hear music in the SL viewer but not in firestorm then it has to be in the settings of your firestorm viewer.  Go to

In there check you have Streaming music turned up on your volume controls, then go to the music tab. In the SL viewer the default is to play music automatically, where as (i think) the firestorm default is to wait for you to click on the play button. Check your settings match the SL viewer for a like for like experience. 

It will also be worth checking your privacy settings. Avatar/pricacy/manage block/mute list. Then also the media white and black lists http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/phoenix:media_filter

Now regarding your media.. there are two main different types of media in SL, you have Parcel and Shared media

Parcel Media: If the land is deeded to a group, the media device using it must be deeded to the same group. If the land is not deeded then the media item must be owned by the same person who owns the land. In order to deed an item to the land group you will need deed rights in that group. If you do not have deed rights in the land group,  set the item to the land group (this is done right right clicking on your object and then editing it. go to the general tab and se the group to the land group.), then share it. Once its shared contact someone with deed rights in the land group, they can then come along and deed it for you. Its also worth noting that only items with transfer rights can be deeded. When you deed an item you actually change the ownership to the group. When the object gets returned it is reverted to you and you get it back. 

Shared Media: Items using shared media do not require deeding to a group and can be displayed on any face of any prim. Depending on your viewer settings you may need to click pay in your media settings first, or you can set them to auto play. There will typically be a web browser like hover text above items which have shared media. 

It is also worth noting that both media types to work fully will require Quick Time and Adobe Flash players to be installed. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 1

A long answer to a long question.

Easiest part first:

examining wrote:

2) Why I can listen to the estate music with sl viewer but not with Firestorm?

Media streaming can be set to start automatically in the preferences. The SL viewer has it switched on by default, Firestorm has it switched off. To switch it on in Firestorm got to Preferences -> Sound & Media -> Music. Then check the "Allow audio stream to auto-play" checkbox. Simple as that.

If the checkbox is grayed out, point at the speaker icon at the upper right corner of the viewer window, wait for the audio mixer menu to appear and then switch music on there.

examining wrote:

1) How I can deed a radio or a tv to my group?  It's already set to the group and the deed button is deactivated.

You can't. You have to ask the group owner to do it for you. Important to note: when you deed an item to the group, you give it to the group and you don't own it anymore. It can be returned to you by autoreturn or by the group owner but there have been some episodes with the group owner refusing to do that.

examining wrote:

P.S. I pressed after all the deed button in the edit of the current radio I have (thought to try this first before the newly obtained tv-radio set) and it said "if you press this button the radio will give or take -do not remember- money to this group."

Shuoldn't be anything to worry about for a media player. Items can be deeded to a group for many different reasons, including money transfer. If the item has some kind of payment function (vendors, tipjars, donation boxes etx.), any money paid to it will be paid to the group and then transferred to the group owner(s) rather than to you. HArdlyr elevant for a media player though. :)

Now, when you're dealing with media players, it's important to notice that there are two very different kinds, both with their pros and cons.

The players that need to be deeded, are simply switches that changes the parcel media settings. (That's why it has to be deeded btw, he owner must have media rights to the parcel). This means any chages you make applies to the whole parcel which again means your part of it has to be partitioned off.

The players that don't need to be deeded, uses MOAP (Media-On-A-Prim). The main advantage to those is of course that they don't have to be deeded. The main disadvantageis range. The sound from a MOAP player is heard within a certain distance (20 m if I remember correctly), nothing more and nothing less. This can be a problem if you have neighbors close by and of course also if you have a larger parcel you want to fill with music.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.