Two DJs One Stream?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To be honest, I'm not sure it can be done the way you want it to be done, as in two people using the exact same stream at the exact same moment to DJ. It could be possible, I just don't have any information on it, because I have no specific experience with that type of streaming, outside of someone using a stream to broadcast something like a discussion or chat which is often done via something like a skype/video/voice conversation which is then transmitted over a stream to the audience.

That said, it is entirely possible to switch the stream from one DJ to the other in a very swift and smooth manner. If done right, the stream doesn't drop. In fact, that's how you *should switch from one DJ to the next, or one stream source to the next. Those on the listening end, won't even notice, until/unless there is something that tells them which DJ is currently spinning, for example a board/object that tells people who is streaming/what song is playing in sl, or a website that people can see to view this information.

A DJ switch should always be a smooth transition, barring any outside complications, provided those streaming know what they're doing. 

I should have realized that one can't use the word live and the word stream together like that in these forums. DOH, my bad.

Ohni,

Yes you can dual-team a show with 2 DJs but not by sharing the stream.

Assuming your are using SAM Broadcaster Professional...

Basically one DJ takes the broadcast lead and streams to the relay service port that all the listeners will use to listen in on the show. This DJ usually has the master list of music to be programmed for the show with a copy available to the partner DJ. This way each can take proper credit for song programming when their contribution is scheduled to be played.

You use VAC [Virtual Audio Cables] to enable Skype integration on that SAM installation.

http://support.spacial.com/entries/36766114-SAM-Broadcaster-Integration-with-Skype

The other DJ uses Skype to participate in the program.

Now the give and take between the DJs is not immediate and it takes a bit of self-training to get used to this but with some practice the DJs can chat with each other and the broadcast lead will cue the music. The audience will hear all of this.

This method will introduce a 1 - 2 second timing delay in the conversation between the DJs but with practice you can eliminate this delay by how you chat with each other....

Have fun!

• 4 years later...

I just saw this thread...i worked at a second life dance club earlier this year where we all used the same stream and would just handoff when our set was due. We would countdown to the upcoming dj from 3 mins using 300,200,100, 30 sec then GO, then at 12-15 sec communicate the GO and exit the stream.  The new dj would enable his encoder at GO and start his broadcast.  With practice it would work well as it takes into account the roughly 30 sec delay in broadcast vs actual play inworld.  Theoretically you could do this on a per song basis or 2 song basis, but it would be very heavy work for a 2 hour set.  Am sure you could work it out with a share screen program like skype where you could see the timing of each others song and just activate/deactivate the encoders at a set point without the countdown.

3 hours ago, Brenden Aichi said:

I just saw this thread...i worked at a second life dance club earlier this year where we all used the same stream and would just handoff when our set was due. We would countdown to the upcoming dj from 3 mins using 300,200,100, 30 sec then GO, then at 12-15 sec communicate the GO and exit the stream.  The new dj would enable his encoder at GO and start his broadcast.  With practice it would work well as it takes into account the roughly 30 sec delay in broadcast vs actual play inworld.  Theoretically you could do this on a per song basis or 2 song basis, but it would be very heavy work for a 2 hour set.  Am sure you could work it out with a share screen program like skype where you could see the timing of each others song and just activate/deactivate the encoders at a set point without the countdown.

I think after 4 years they’ve figured it out or moved on...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.