No sound with Singularity, Snowstorm or vanilla

LittleLadyLovecraft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Normally I would be able to hear sounds like teleporting to a new region, emotes, songs, streaming music, and other basic sound effects. I can't hear any form of media/audio. I have the volume on my laptop turned up. In my SL settings I enabled everything that has to do with sound.  All of the volumes are turned up. I don't have anything blocked in my SL veiwers. I'm having this issue with the vanilla veiwer, singularity, and the snowstorm veiwer. I can go to youtube on my laptop and listen to music just fine, so I don't think its a driver issue. 

3 answers to this question

I can understand why the Singularity viewer might mess up.  It is now out of date.  It hasn't been updated since early last year, so I'd expect bits and pieces of it to stop working properly the longer it's still out there.  Snowstorm is an experimental viewer, also not current.  The current Linden Lab viewer (4.0.0) should work, however.  I assume that's the one you are refering to as the "vanilla" viewer.  If not, and if you are using a previous version, I suggest upgrading to it or to the current version of Firestorm or Black Dragon before you try anything else.

You seem to have tried the obvious things: the sliders and checkboxes in the sound panel, including the mute button, I assume.  You can double check all of those settings by looking in your Advanced (CTRL + Alt + D) menu for the debug settings that deal with audio.  There is a collection of them that start with the word "Mute", all of which should normally set to FALSE.  I have a feeling that you are going to find that they are all set properly.

The only other thing I can think of is that your operating system may have directed sounds from SL to a different device than you normally use for sounds,  If I open the sound panel on my compter, for example, I see that the playback device is identified as the computer's speakers.  There are five other options, however, for digital audio, USB Audio CODEC, and NVIDIA HDMI output channels.  I have a vague memory of having messed up my sounds royally a few years ago by changing those options.  I heard sounds from some programs normally and others went totally mute.  I hesitate to suggest playing with them yourself, but if you have a trusted local wizard, you might point him/her in that direction.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.