is secondlife making people go completely mesh?

bianca Willowind

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi Bianca,

Nope, SL isn't making anyone go mesh. I have exactly one mesh item in my inventory, a skirt. Mesh avatars can look much nicer than the old classic avatars (and they're going to get much more interesting with the new bones being added to the skeleton) but you don't have to use them. Unfortunately, mixing classic and mesh can be a hassle, so eventually you may decide to jump head first into mesh, but that'll be because you like the look of mesh better, not because classic stuff stops working. Until the day you like mesh better, you'll have no problems sticking with classic shapes, skins and clothing.

Have fun!

• Like 3

Madaline gave you a good answewr.

The Lab provides us more freedom in game than most and way more than some RL countries. About they only thing we are ever FORCED to do is update a viewer. And generally only then when the version we are on affects the grid in a negative way.

The Classic avatar is very much in use and will remain so for some time. To me it looks like most clothes made now are made for the Classic and Mesh avatars. 

I started using mesh hands and feet when they came out. I stayed with the Classic avatar body until recently. For some dresses the Mesh body is best and for others only the Classic body works better. That is usually when an dress has diagonal openings or openings that cross the avatar's division of front and back. This is because of how Slink does the invisibility thing. Get a demo of the body and try it. All the mesh bodies I've looked at provide demos.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3046 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.