Modo 902 for Mesh creation?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday I asked about Silo, in another thread and learned it does not import or export collada. Today Ive discovered Moda and before download checked the manual and it says it can import and export collada. 

So Im going to give it a try. However, Im still looking for folks who have experience with it or with something else. And please, not blender. I know its free but it has been the most frustrating program to use.

I have hexagon, which has no support, and as far as I can tell does not rig or do uv. And while I dont know anything about rigging and very little about UV I know if I want to create my own mesh shoes instead of just using the full perms I have on hand I need to learn those things as well.

So, Im off to install moda and check out the tuts. Ill give feedback when I can for those who may be interested. But Id love to hear from you all.

From my Silo thread and further investigation at CG forums I learned Silo is not for me. Not until they work out the kinks and resolve the lack of collada import/export. BUt its a shame. its a beautifully simple, blessed looking tool. It IS buggy as well. I couldnt actually use my mouse to zoom in or out or turn the model but the tools simply MADE sense. It spoke my langauage. lol.

I think that is where blender fails. It speaks developer speak and it buries too many things that should be related in unrelated places. And I think thats why its free.

• 5 weeks later...

A bit late, but perhaps you're still evaluating options? I've been using modo since 301 (now on version on 601, never upgraded after) and I really like this tool. The interface is super clean, and their idea of tool pipelines is pretty clever. I use it for modelling, UVing (love the tools there) and sometimes for rendering textures. The scripting API is not too bad either. Never quite got friendly with the painting or retopo modes, never tried the sculpt modes, since I use other tools for these. The collada exporter works fine with SL, as long as you stick to unrigged meshes.

For the negatives: updates are paying and expensive. I have no idea how to get a workable rig for SL. The modo userbase in SL is extremely small (as you saw from this thread *cough*cough*) which makes it extra hard when you're stuck on an SL-specific problem. Luxology (the company that made modo) was bought up by The Foundry a few years back, and modo is now just one part of a larger product portofolio that focusses on film FX and design rather than games, so who knows what the future will bring for modo in the long-term.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.