Is the Winter Premium Gift Missing the Sleigh?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It seems so, I checked two premium sandboxes.

Go and duplicate for yourself in Astutula or Admiranda - click on the gift giver then:

1. Rez Winter gift

2. Inside Winter gift are items sleigh, sleigh HUD and Snowman Companion

3. Rez Sleigh and get another box, not a sleigh

4. Inside that box is only Sleigh HUD, not a sleigh

So I think they left the sleigh out by accident.

It does look like a very cool thing.

I read the notecard. 

There isn't anything that tells you to do that.

The Snowman doesn't work that way, it rezzes out, and the wand is used to remove it.

PS Here's exactly what it says, copied from the card. What is confusing about this is that it doesn't say CLICK YOUR WAND TO REZ THE SLEIGH.  Instead, it says the wand will let you rez A NEW one as if you can do this after you've lost the first one.

If this was in fact clear, a person like me who has been in SL more than 11 years, and unpacked a zillion things including with every kind of HUD and wand and whatnot, would get it. But it wasn't.

Your Winter Sleigh truly is magical.

It flies!
You can drive it on land or water!
You can carry friends with you!
You can hand out candy and other goodies, or bombard your friends with snowballs!
You can enjoy the jingle of sleigh bells or listen to a selection of seasonal music as you travel!
And yes, there's more!

To start the fun, attach the Sleigh HUD by finding it in your inventory and double clicking on it.

When you attach the HUD, only three of its buttons will do anything.
The small MINIMIZE button in the middle of the HUD will shrink the HUD when you want to save screen space. Click the HUD again to MAXIMIZE it.

The HELP button (question mark) gives a copy of this notecard.

The REZ button (the magic wand) will create a new sleigh for you, if you are in an area where you are allowed to rez objects. You can only rez one sleigh at a time, and the sleigh will delete itself if you leave the region or log out of Second Life. So ... click it now.

Here's how this should be rewritten so it isn't annoying and geeky -- with this snarky and distracting "do anything" said before it even tells you what to do.

To start the fun, attach the Sleigh HUD by finding it in your inventory and double clicking on it.  It will appear in front of you on your screen. You will see three buttons.

Click on the magic wand icon, which is the rez button that will create a sleigh for you if you are in an area where you can rez, or place objects. You can only rez one sleigh at a time, and the sleigh will delete itself if you leave the region or log out of Second Life.

The small MINIMIZE button in the middle of the HUD will shrink the HUD when you want to save screen space. Click the HUD again to MAXIMIZE it.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

I read the notecard. 

There isn't anything that tells you to do that.

The Snowman doesn't work that way, it rezzes out, and the wand is used to remove it.

When I rezzed and unpacked the box "Magical Winter Sleigh" it created a folder of that name in my inventory.

The folder contains an object, "Winter Magical Sleigh HUD v1 (Add Me)" and a notecard, "Your Winter Magic Sleigh (Read Me)"

The Notecard begins:

Your Winter Sleigh truly is magical.

It flies!

You can drive it on land or water!

You can carry friends with you!

You can hand out candy and other goodies, or bombard your friends with snowballs!

You can enjoy the jingle of sleigh bells or listen to a selection of seasonal music as you travel!

And yes, there's more!

To start the fun, attach the Sleigh HUD by finding it in your inventory and double clicking on it.

When you attach the HUD, only three of its buttons will do anything. The small MINIMIZE button in the middle of the HUD will shrink the HUD when you want to save screen space. Click the HUD again to MAXIMIZE it.

The REZ button (the magic wand) will create a new sleigh for you, if you are in an area where you are allowed to rez objects. You can only rez one sleigh at a time, and the sleigh will delete itself if you leave the region or log out of Second Life. So ... click it now.

It does, however, tell you that only three buttons will do anything.   One will minimize the HUD, one will give you a copy of the notecard.  And the third will rez a new sleigh for you if you are on land where you can rez things.   "So ... click it now".

I took that to mean that I should click the button "now," which I did.

Anyway, that's where your sleigh is, and I agree it's a very cool thing. 

Have a happy and peaceful Christmas!

Innula,

Read what I wrote. Telling you that "only 3 buttons will do something" is just bewildering. The other buttons are there then because...why? They don't "do anything"? Yet they do, that's why they're there. Like one of them dispenses coffee while you're flying, that's "doing something."

You have to explain to people HOW TO GET THE SLEIGH in a box in which THERE IS NO SLEIGH.

I realize some SL residents are hardened already to the idea of HUD's 'rezzing stuff' because they use it to produce whips and chains from their beds.

The rest of us normally see HUDs only changing colours on pants or trees or whatnot. 

"HUD-as-rezzer" is not a norm except for some demographics. Most people are used to the idea of a thing rezzing "as is" out of your inventory" or rezzing after you put out a "rez-faux". 

I'm glad you took the button to mean "now". But anything that says NEW to me implies it's going to be the next version after the first thing.

The Lindens would lose nothing by reversing their instructions so that people can understand where the sleigh is. I'm sure I'm not the only person who didn't figure this out. 

And people wonder why there is no retention...

Doubtless the instructions as a whole could have been phrased so as to avoid any confusion, but I'm at a loss to understand how the simple instruction "So ... click it [the button with the magic wand] now!" could be construed as anything other than an instruction to click that button without further delay.

In the context of the previous few sentences, I'm surprised that anyone would not expect a sleigh to appear when the button was clicked, but clearly I'm mistaken, and you were left wondering where your sleigh was and why on earth LL wanted you to click this button.

Did it not occur to you to comply with this invitation to "click it now!", if only to find out what happened when you did?

I often look at the Answers section here, and sometimes reply to questions when I can.   I haven't yet noticed anyone asking there, "Where's my premium sleigh got to?  I opened the box, and all I found was a HUD," but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for such enquiries, and refer them to this thread if I see any.

Gosh, Innula, could it be because there are three distracting paragraphs of geek snideness that precede it? Again, take a look:

When you attach the HUD, only three of its buttons will do anything. UM, WHAT?

The small MINIMIZE button in the middle of the HUD will shrink the HUD when you want to save screen space. Click the HUD again to MAXIMIZE it. WHERE'S MY SLEIGH, GUYS?

The HELP button (question mark) gives a copy of this notecard. DOES THAT REALLY COUNT AS DOING SOMETHING?

The REZ button (the magic wand) will create a new sleigh for you, if you are in an area where you are allowed to rez objects. You can only rez one sleigh at a time, and the sleigh will delete itself if you leave the region or log out of Second Life. So ... click it now

well, why doesn't it START with telling you to click to rez your sleigh in the first line?

why does it introduce distraction and doubt and irrelevancy?

why does it suddenly put in a subjunctive clause that isn't clear -- well, wouldn't I be in such an area to start with, rezzing a thing? There isn't a system in SL where you can rez something out in the world if you ARE NOT on land you own or rent from or in a sandbox with delayed autoreturn. THAT is why it's just confusing.

It's ESPECIALLY  confusing now that "Experience" enables things to rez and come at you and NOT go into inventory -- as in fact this thing allows WHILE you are flying -- even over someone else's land -- enabling you to rez a cup of coffee into your hand with no land rights under you.

AND GUESS WHAT INNULA!~!!!

I DID go to group land I own and try to rez the slay. And I got this all-too-common message "THE OWNER OF THIS LAND DOES NOT ALLOW YOU..." This is false, of course, because I'm the owner, and I have my group tag on. But it's mesh, which delivers those kinds of erroneous messages ALL THE TIME.

As for "no one else asking where the sleigh is," do you realize that 2 percent of the population read the forums, if that? And those who read don't contribute -- an even tinier percentage of that speak up because they know if they ask a question,they will be ridiculed and mobbed (just look at most of the answers).

I'm unafraid of asking, in a corporate offer for an account I pay for, where's the thing when I can't see it.

I went to 4 different parcels of my own before I finally got the thing to rez out and start working. it's a cool thing for sure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.