How do I get my no copy objects back after a region failure? I lost them all. (Read discription)

AshleyGloom7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just got my Linden home a couple weeks ago. First time as a premium member. I have had nothing but trouble since. First it was the console not wanting to work. I used live chat twice to fix it, and both times they restarted the region (Satin). After the second time, I can no longer rez on my own land (permission set to allow everyone to build). I get the "Can't rez object because the owner does not allow it" message. However, after reading through some other questions, I figured out that I could rez in certain spots, mainly upstairs in the middle of the floor.

Jump ahead to yesterday; I bought a dog bed for my dog and set him up to use it. I then clicked the console to open the windows up and the region froze and logged me out. When I came back, the bed and the dog were gone. They weren't on the land or in my inventory. Not even in lost and found. Also, I had taken back or deleted things to free up prims for my dog and the bed. All of the stuff I put away to free up prims was back where it was originally. It was as if I hadn't made any changes at all. So I got my bed and my dog back from the owner/store and tried again. The same thing happened. I clicked the console and got the Whoops! message and was logged out again. Came back, and the bed was gone, but the dog was still there. Contacted the owner again, and she graciously resent the bed again just now.

While looking for the bed, I went into the about land menu and clicked the object tab. I clicked show objects, then return. The system returned everything except my no copy items. They are all gone. But when I go into that tab and click below on the refresh button, it shows Govener Linden has 22 objects on my land. Could those be my missing items? Is there anyway to get the items back or look for them?

I have submitted a ticket and done the live chat thing, but thought I'd see if anyone else has experience with this??? Thanks in advance for any advice, ideas, suggestions.

It doesn't look like I can reply to answers, so in reply to Rolig Loon, none of your answer applies to my question, but thanks for trying to help. The dog bed was completely gone. I looked at 0,0,0 and found nothing but a tree and a house. Nothing was underground or in the sky either. I used the build tool to search for linksets and found nothing. I am at work on a wired connection right next to the server on a 100Mb connection. I don't think you read my explination. If you read the explination through, you'll see that I did rez the bed just fine and even set up my dog to use it. He was on it when the region logged me out due to an error after clicking on the console. So it did rez fine, it was only 2 prims, and I had at least 4 available when I rezzed it. It's as if the region deleted the bed.

As for the other no copy objects that I lost, I found the answer. They were grouped together as one object in my "Lost and Found" folder and named after one of the objects returned. I was able to rez the multi object at a sandbox and take each item back into my inventory individually.

3 answers to this question

There are quite a few possibilities. We have each run into them many times.  One of the most common mistakes we all make is to move objects abruptly, without checking to see where they are going.  It is remarkably easy to drag an object, let go of it, and find that you let go while it was 100m in the air or inside the walls of your house.  If yopu use Build >>> Pathfinding >>> Linksets you can find where misplaced objects went, and then either retrieve them or delete them. 

Another possibility: No-copy objects will often fail to rez properly if you rez them on a mesh surface instead of rezzing them on a prim or on the ground.  They simply vanish and you panic.  Fortunately, they usually reappear in your inventory when you log out of SL and then back in again. 

Objects may also fail to rez if they have a high enough Land Impact that rezzing them will force the parcel's total L.I. over the limit -- in your case, 117.  Unfortunately, it's not always obvious what the L.I. of an object is until you have rezzed it once and looked in your edit tool.  The solution, then, is to rez objects that might have a high L.I. in a sandbox first, take them back to inventory, and then rez them on your own parcel if you can.

Large objects rezzed too close to the edge of your parcel can also be a problem, especially if the object's root prim laps onto your neighbor's land.  The solution, as you have already discovered, is to rez things near the center of your parcel and then move them.

And then there are objects that simply confuse the servers for rasons that none of understand.  WHen the servers don't know what to do with an object, they sometimes give it back to you, so it lands in your Lost & Found folder.  Sometimes, though, they send it to the region's garbage collection spot in the extreme SW corner at location <0,0,0>.  I find a few objects a month there on my region.  And then, unfortunately, sometimes the servers just lose them.  If you are lucky, they turn up a day or two later, returned to your inventory.

When you are missing items, go through these possibilities >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lost_inventory  .  Because you are a Premium member, you can also ask Live Chat or submit a support case in an appropriate technical category if all else fails.

One final note:  If you lose objects often, it's possible that the servers and your viewer are not communicating well.  If you're on a wireless Internet connection, get off it if you can.  Many people have no trouble at all with wifi, but Linden Lab does not support or recommend it.  Reboot your router and modem, too, so that they have a clean memory and a firm grasp on your IP address.

• Like 1

The error you got is typical when you try to rez mesh on top of mesh. The bounding boxes interact and you can't rez them. I usually don't reccomend this but try, as a last resort, clearing your cache then relog. Often, especially when you crash, you lose the link to your inventory. Clearing cache will force your browser to reestablish those links.

Good Luck

AshleyGloom7 wrote:

[ .... ]

It doesn't look like I can reply to answers, so in reply to Rolig Loon, none of your answer applies to my question, but thanks for trying to help. The dog bed was completely gone. I looked at 0,0,0 and found nothing but a tree and a house. Nothing was underground or in the sky either. I used the build tool to search for linksets and found nothing. I am at work on a wired connection right next to the server on a 100Mb connection. I don't think you read my explination. If you read the explination through, you'll see that I did rez the bed just fine and even set up my dog to use it. He was on it when the region logged me out due to an error after clicking on the console. So it did rez fine, it was only 2 prims, and I had at least 4 available when I rezzed it. It's as if the region deleted the bed.

As for the other no copy objects that I lost, I found the answer. They were grouped together as one object in my "Lost and Found" folder and named after one of the objects returned. I was able to rez the multi object at a sandbox and take each item back into my inventory individually.

You found exactly the right way to add to your question.  Congratulations.

Yes, when things are returned together, they usually go back to your Lost & Found folder as a "coalesced object", which you can read about here >>> https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Building-tips/ta-p/700041#Section_.1  . If the coalesced object is large or complex, it can be challenging to unpack it, so read those instructions carefully.

I did indeed read your explanation, but my response was intended to address several parts of it and to anticipate other things that might happen in the future, for reference.  I should have also mentioned, though, that the servers sometimes have a perverse way of returning things that you have already rezzed.  If rezzing another object would force your parcel's L.I. to go over the limit, the servers sometimes try to make room by returning a few rezzed items.  I find that very frustrating, but there's not much you can do about it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.