Deeply disappointed!

AvaValentina1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can' t believe that things happen... Somebody enter my account and disturbing my privacy, it should be punished, but not, I was left my money. But my case is closed, archived.. How I could believe in future? Unauthorized access could be allowed to everybody.

I have done my utmost in loosing much time, money and attention and I finally I understood that all has in vain. I am deeply regret ...

In almost all cases its the account holders fault that someone could log into their account. Thats not just happening out of the blue. You either gave someone your login information or you fell for a phishing attempt and entered your information somewhere, where you shouldn't.

AvaValentina1 wrote:

That's what I thought, it's my fault that I'm robbed.

Take it as a lesson learned. Change your login information and be more careful in the future. Tell nobody your login details (not even people you consider close friends or lovers) and be careful with links people send you. One common practice is to send a fake link to the marketplace in a group and hopeing that at least someone will click it and log in on a page that appears to be the marketplace, but isn't.

hi Ava

seems like you got hit inworld by one the fake store promotion discount card scams

they are really nasty people who are doing this

I agree with you also. Is really dissappointing

LL should track these scammers down, get the money back and return it

not just close your ticket and go: oh! well. to bad. hard times

+

yes, people reading might go: Theres a big yellow dialog that tells you to be sure before you agree to grant debit permissions

but heres the thing. People like Ava, they just shopping inworld spending money buying stuff, then they get a offer from what all intents and purposes appears (even tho it isnt) to be from the shop owner in the shop where they are. Why would Ava suspect thats this is not the case, that there is anything wrong with this ?

is so wrong that LL just close Ava's ticket and go: not our problem, and let the thief keep the money

eta

(even tho it isnt)   

irihapeti wrote:

hi Ava

seems like you got hit inworld by one the fake store promotion discount card scams...

yes, people reading might go: Theres a big yellow dialog that tells you to be sure before you agree to grant debit permissions....

is so wrong that LL just close Ava's ticket and go: not our problem, and let the thief keep the money

i don't read she got scammed by a card ... i read her account is compomised...

you of course give you wallet to everybody who asks....

there is a personal responsibility...sorry for the loss but learning it the hard way is part of SL for most people, the fact LL doesn't get involved must be they see it as resident to resident issue, if it really was a scam they wouldn't close the ticket.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

sorry for the loss but learning it the hard way is part of SL for most people, the fact LL doesn't get involved must be they see it as resident to resident issue, if it really was a scam they wouldn't close the ticket.

this the problem

we have got so used to this that we actual dont see anything wrong with it. We just go: sorry. feel your pains. oh! well

+

eta more

how many people been scammed over the years ?? heaps and heaps

the tragedy is that Ebbe Linden is running all over the public media talking about how they are working really hard to bring about changes to prevent fraud

+

Ebbe Linden if you read this then you guys need to think about people like Ava. And do something about it

how many people over the years been scammed in SL ?

probably in the 100,000s. How much money they be ripped for ? probably in the millions

and when they do get scammed and ripped they quit. People like Ava, gone

People like Ava are not jaded hard core long time SL users like us few who got nothing better to do with our time than login to SL

they come, they open their purses and wallets, and get ripped and scammed. and get their tickets closed and told sorry resident to resident dispute, not our problem. Then they quit and take their purses and wallets with them

I am so sorry this happened to you!  It happens you accept a notification without know who its from and suddenly they have access to your information, not sure how they do it, but the number one rule is do not provide your password to anyone or if you do make sure you trust them completely. 

Too many in this world want to take from you and invade your privacy.  Change your information and move on from this very bad ordeal.  Good luck to you and hope things change for the better and you never experience things like that again.

Time to go and watch/vote on this JIRA

Not that LL should really need to be coerced into increasing the security, it's a pretty darned good practice that responsible organisations take on board.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5753

Unfortunately status is Triaged, Unassigned = Can't be bothered!

Re-read my second paragraph to understand the issue here.

. What to do with protect accounts?

exactly the same in fact as you do in rl

don't let your wallet open at counters

don't wear your wallet visible ( some take snapshots with the UI on the image ...)

don't give everyone access to your wallet, only do manual payments, never let a object do it

use a cash master avatar/alt, only put the money you need on the one you play with.(If you nee PIOF remove the paymentmethod after it's added to your profile, it will stay there)

don't give your passwords

change your passwords weekly

use SAFE passwords, not names of pets or phonenumbers...date of birth ..marriage...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.