How do Adboards work?

Caroline Takeda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I am researching the media market in Se3cond Life at present. Therefore I am looking for information about Adboards, how do they work? How much does one pay? What commission is the agency getting? How successful are they? Would also love to read experinces from Landowners who have Adboards on their place and if it is a good source of income.

Any information (including critical) greatly appreciated.

An ad board is a scripted object sold in the marketplace or in-world. An ad board script (or a scriptset) allows a user after renting the board to place files such as a texture, a notecard, a sound file into its content. The user simply drags such files from their inventory onto the ad board. Renting means paying the board a certain amount for a certain period of time (these values are configured by the board owner).

During the rental time period the board displays renter's texture and other users may retrieve renter's files on touch. After the time period expires and the rent is not renewed the renter's files are deleted from the board content and it becomes available for rent again. That's all there is to it, no magic. The boards may be of different complexity., totally in-world or networked with a web server. We market in-world boards with many features, called RAVI

Whether or not the rental proceeds are a sufficient income for the boards owners I do not know. I just make them and sell them :)

The amount people are willing to pay to rent an ad board is directly related to the amount of traffic that is  attracted to the area the board is in.  Ad boards are most effective in high traffic areas. If you don't have high traffic you may not get anyone to rent them even if you charge very little for them.  Even in high traffic areas I've seen that not all ad boards are rented out.

Some places put out a lot of ad boards.   However IMO too many become visual spam and I ignore them all..  Even in places that have only a few, I rarely pay any attention to them unless the graphics are well done and whatever is being advertised is something I'm looking for.

Note that there are ad board networks that don't charge to advertise.  You just have to agree to have their kiosk, which features several ads at a time, rezzed in your business. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.