Ghosted, all groups gone and cannot right click my ghostly avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

This is the first time its ever happened to me in my whole SL life and it is very frustrating. Firstly i am ghosted. Secondly when i right click on my fog i cannot change appearance. When i right click on my groups they have all disapeared. I cannot go to my outfits folder and change my outfit because the option has gone for that has gone as well. I have tried rebaking and that still hasnt helped. Its almost as if my avatar has become non existant. Please help with any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Empty groups list, friends list names stuck on "Loading...", inability to initiate an IM & inventory failing to fetch are usually symptoms of either a sick region which has capability failure or a connection problem with DNS.

Try logging directly into a different region & see if everything is back to normal. If you only have the problems when logging into a certain region then that region most likely has caps fail, everyone else will also have the same problem who logs in there & the region needs to be restarted.

If Whirly's suggestion doesn't work, it's almost certainly a problem with your connection or possibly your computer and not directly related to SL.

One quick check is to type ctrl-shift-1. That will bring up the performance statistics window and the two first numbers on that list are good indicators of most connection issues:

• Packet Loss: How much is lost on the way between the server and your computer? Should be 0%. Anything up to about 1% is annoying, anything higher than that can be a serious problem.
  • Ping Sim: How long does it take for the data to travel between the server and your computer? Depends on how far away from the server you live of course. A few examples: in the USA it should be a fairly low two digit figure. In England you might expect something around 100. In Norway, where I live, it's never lower than 200. In any case, you should expect figures way over 500 before ping sim time should cause problems like you describe. It's very unlikely this is the reason but easy to check.

Now, it's a reasonably safe bet that your problems will show up as packet loss. If it's the server that keeps loosing stuff, as Whirly suggested, it's LL's responsibility so you do as she says: contact the Lab and ask them to fix it.

If not, your modem is the next to check. How long is it since last time you reset it? Often a simple "soft" reset with that hidden reset button is enough but sometimes you have to do a hard reset, pull out the powerplug and leave the modem without power for about ten minutes before you try to reconnect.

Nine times out of ten this will fix connection problems and if it doesn't it will help locate the issue. If the modem has problems reconnecting to the internet, it's a problem with the connection lines and you internet provider's responsibility. Contact them and ask them to fix it.

If the connection seems fine, it's not a server issue and you still have problems, I'm afraid you'll have to fix it yourself. ;)

The connection cable between modem and computer may be the first thing to check. Are the plugs properly plugged? Do you happen to have a spare cable at hand so you can check if the one you use is damaged?

If everything seem fine so far, your computer is the only suspect left. Computer files do get corrupted from time to time and if that happens to a file crucial to the viewer, you can get all sorts of problems.

If you happen to have both Firestorm (or an Fs based viewer) and the official SL Viewer (or one based on it) installed, try both. Those two use different files for quite a lot of functions so it's a good chance one will work even if the other doesn't. If the problems turns out to be with your favorite viewer, reinstall. You may want to try a simple reinstall first but you'll probably need a clean reinstall. (Clearing cache? Yes, you may want to try that before reinstalling but it's unlikely it'll fix the problem and may actually make it worse.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.