R9 390 AMD on secondlife

Daphniii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys I'm currently looking to buy a new graphics card and I've been hearing good things about AMD r9 390, does anyone have experience with this graphics card and do they recommend it to play second life? If not what card do you recommend to run SL on ultra settings!

Daphniii wrote:

so do you guys think its not worth getting?

What do you think?  

A specific card, named in the title . . . and the feed back is negative with jiras and pictures and circles and arrows with a complete paragraph on it being the worst card for SL.  

Daphniii wrote:

Thank you for your irrelevant response,

You are welcome.  I'm glad you saw the Irrelevance as it has nothing to do with anything in the general discussion forum.   Now if you posted this in the technical forum or answers then perhaps my response would have been different.  Or Perhaps not.

I have an R9 380 and I can tell you the linked problem happens to me. As an IT / Break fix technician I can also tell you this is not a problem with VRAM. That is just a punt by LL because they don't want to spend the resources finding a fix, and AMD certainly doesn't care about the tiny SL userbase that has their cards. 

IOW, Don't buy the card if that is going to bother you. I just turn off AML and it goes away, or I live with it. Otherwise, the card is awesome for the money. 

• 1 month later...

This sucks beyond believe since I was looking at the exact same card, R9 390 8GB.

Frankly with a card like that I wouldn't settle for anything other than ultra settings since my current (pretty old) AMD 6770 1GB is capable of some pretty impressive pictures.

Right now I cannot think about buying something that wouldn't work with SL, so for the TC I guess the nVidia equivalent is the GTX970, but not only that one (at my retailer) costs a bit more, it also only has 4GB of VRAM and if that wasn't bad enough it's not really 4GB, it's 3,5GB + (ultra slow) 500MB.

So frankly, maybe just wait till spring for a new line up of GPUs, that's what I probably gonna do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.