and a last one at least for today...

examining

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I understand that creating/building is fun and probably can pay rather than demand to spend, eventually.

My question is: is there any way to create things outside SL and enter to share/sell them?

I know that selling is possible outside SL in second life marketplace.

But creating?  Even with some especially good computer?

I'd like to know if such a possiiblity exists in order to make plans and calculate budgets.

Thanks

P.S. By selling outside SL I ment outside the grid, in marketplace, which one can access through a browser.

I'm very much interested in creating things that may be useful in SL but cannot as yet settle the "land" issue, together with the money issue.

That is, if I must pay for a place where to live and work inworld, and if this can be less or more whatever I might earn by selling what I make, in the beginning. 

The sandbox solution I'm trying now am not sure it might help.

What you said was very good news for me.

2 answers to this question

examining wrote:

I understand that creating/building is fun and probably can pay rather than demand to spend, eventually.

My question is: is there any way to create things outside SL and enter to share/sell them?

I know that selling is possible outside SL in second life marketplace.

But creating?  Even with some especially good computer?

I'd like to know if such a possiiblity exists in order to make plans and calculate budgets.

Thanks

It depends on what you're creating, but it's very possible to work off-line in SL and import things into it. In fact, there are many things that have to be done outside of SL - creating textures and creating mesh objects, for instance.

It's possible to create with free tools as well - GIMP can be used for texture work and Blender can be used for meshes.

• Like 2

Absolutely.

Textures are created outside SL using any paint program, such as Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, or GIMP.  The latter one is free.

Mesh objects and sculpted prims are created outside SL using a 3D modeling program.  Popular choices include Maya, LightWave, 3DStudio Max, and Blender.  Again, the last one is free.

Animations are created outside SL using an animation program.  So are poses, which are simply animations without movement.  The same program you use to create 3D models can also be used to create animations, but SL requires animations to be in the .bvh format used by Poser, so either get Poser or make sure your animation program can export to the .bvh format.  The very realistic dances and other animations that you see in SL are created using "motion capture" or MOCAP software and equipment.  MOCAP has come down in price to where even individuals can afford a setup.  See, for example, http://ipisoft.com/  If you want to experiment with animating SL avatars for free, download a copy of the Qavimator software.

Sound files are created outside SL using a sound editor like Audition or Sound Forge.  The format and maximum length requirements for sound clips are very specific, you can't just upload your favorite .mp3s.

When it comes right down to it, probably more content is made outside of SL these days than with the in world tools.  I appreciate the higher level of quality this permits, but I also think it raises the entry barriers for new creators, because they must learn additional, and much more detailed, skill sets.  I think the in-world prim-building tools were a great idea, and made it easy for almost anyone to become a creator.

Now, if you are talking about SELLING your creations outside Second Life...it's possible.  For example, you could sell 3D mesh models that you create on one of the 3D model sites like TurboSquid.  But I wouldn't do that.  For one thing, you'd be forcing all your customers to pay an upload fee to get the content INTO Second Life.  It's more sensible to pay that upload cost only one time, yourself, and then sell your creations in the Marketplace and/or in an in-world store.  Besides, SL is the first, and usually the only, place where people who want to buy stuff "made for Second Life" will look.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.