Land Use Fees & Tier

AngelicDescent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey folks! I have a question about how the tier and land fees work, which the calculator (https://secondlife.com/my/account/landfees.php?lang=en-US) is throwing me off. If looking at this link (https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php), for example, say I owned 1,536 sqm, would I be paying $8 or $15? In other words, anything between 1,024 sqm to 2,047 sqm would be $8 a month or 2,048 sqm to 4,095 sqm would be $15 a month?

4 answers to this question

There's a hidden factor in the tier tables that you haven't considered.

As a Premium member, you don't pay tier on the first 512 square meters (m2) you own.  So, according to the tier table, you can own up to 1,024 m2 for $8 USD per month.  But in reality, you can own 1,024+512 = 1536 m2, and you would still pay just $8 per month!

If you go even one square meter over that, though, you bump up into the next tier level of $15 per month.

There is yet another factor that can let you own a bit more land without increasing your tier.  Groups get a 10% tier bonus, so...

...You can create a group.  Invite your own alt to the group to keep it from being automatically disbanded by LL.  Then donate your tier of 1536 m2 to the group, and while wearing your group tag, buy the land for the group.  In our example, you could own as much as (1024+512) x 1.10 = 1689 m2, and still not exceed your $8 per month tier level.

The above discussion assumes you do NOT own a Linden Home.  If you do, you don't get the tier-free 512 m2.

• Like 3

Lindal Kidd and Amethyst Jetaime are correct, assuming you do not own a free Linden house (on the Linden homes sims). If you own a Linden house, it uses up your free 512 m2. So if you do own a Linden house, abandon it before you buy more land on the mainland.

Second, if you contribute tier to a group, it counts just the same as if you owned that much land yourself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.