On day 35 of SL, my avi's skin has gone grey, lost physics and all face lights and more

CaitlinCornsilk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I'm new, and unfortunately, not terribly tech savvy, so please bear with me if I ask a silly question.

Yesterday (day 35) I was at the Brazen Head when I realised that my avi was looking a bit grey.  I didn't take too much notice of it as I presumed it was the light settings of the location.

However, it wasn't until I was in more regular haunts, that I realised it wasn't the light setting, it was my avi that didn't look right.  I have suddenly lost the use of (even while wearing) my lovely skin colour which was quite pale.  Now it's grey and patchy and I look like a dead person.  It's the whole avi, from head to toe on the skin.

Also, I've lost the use of my face lamps and instead of wearing blusher ;-), I'm wearing dead avi grey.  The other thing I seem to have lost the use of (again, all while wearing/adding all the above) is my physics - and that HURTS!.  ;-)

I also notice that certain items are not rezzing anymore.  Mainly parts of buildings, etc, but these normally rezz fine so I don't understand.  I've checked the health of the avarar and that seems fine.  I've brought draw length back to 64 with graphics on low (I think they were on low anyway).

I've logged out and in again.  I've even gone so far as to reset the router in case that's the problem, left it unplugged for more than five minutes, but to no avail.  I've looked at previous threads but nothing really applies.

I've seen ppl mention about toggling off HTTP Textures.  I would try that if I knew how to do it he he.  Also derendering.... I'm a bit frightened of that one and again - don't know how to do it.

If anyone can help (talk to me like I'm stupid) I'd be really very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Cait

In the first instance, try Ctrl alt r

If that didn't work, try edit appearance and quit, if that doesn't work, a character test will fix it but I'm not going to describe that as it's a last resort.

This is assuming you're not wearing an all grey skin... I have one to wind people up when they tell me "you're not rezzing for me..." So I just tell them "maybe it's your graphics?" And then give them a bunch of pointless things to try. That's if I'm in a mischievous mood ;)

Failing the above, don't worry, it's nearly Halloween and then you'll have the perfect outfit :)

Pics or it didn't happen. :smileywink:

In all seriousness, though, pictures are very helpful to figuring out these problems, so we can get an idea of exactly what's going on. Barring that, it could be a connection problem. 

Try INCREASING your graphics, rather than decreasing. Slide up to medium and see if it helps. Check the physics setting, in particular: somewhere in your preferences is a little slider for physics effects, and if it's too low or all the way down, you won't see physics. Also with low graphics, you sometimes won't get local lights, which would disable your "face lamps." Check the local lights box. I'm not inworld to find exactly where all these things are, but they're in your graphics preferences somewhere, I believe. 

(BTW, face lamps/face lights aren't really encouraged. Unless your light is very dim, the rest of us tend to see you as a walking flashlight. Changing your windlight settings is a better alternative, although it only affects how you see yourself, not how others see you.)

Apologies Ariel, I didn't see your post.

To be honest, if I'd posted pics you wouldn't have noticed anything I don't think. It took me a while to register that something wasn't right so I doubt the things I'd spotted would have shown up in a photo. Point taken, however.

Also, I did not realize lamps were discouraged. Thank you for that, I can see your point there too.

As for the solution? My graphics were too low - just like you mentioned above.  Also it seems I had my wifi setting too low as well.  Within a couple of minutes it was sorted and I'm back to my normal self.

Thank you so much for posting, I really do appreciate it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.