Item giver script inside furniture menu?

Eve1209 Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. I have a question about giver scripts.  I am building furniture for a store I'm planning to open. Some of the furniture has multiple sits in it, and some of the furniture has MLP menus and animations.  I've been trying to figure out how to add a "give *item*" button to the existing menus. For example, I have a lounger and a reading pose that would be perfect. I'd love to be able give the person a book, which would be wearable.  I've looked through tons of scripts and none of them say anything about working within an existing menu. They either are rez on touch, or have their own menus for you to choose the item you want.  Is there some other kind of script for this that I'm not aware of?  I've seen lots of other furniture that gives out stuff, things from a glass of champagne, to books, cuffs, even breakfast in bed.  I'd love to be able to do this with my furniture but I just can't figure out how.

Any help or advice you can offer would be very much appreciated!  I've searched through the boards looking for a similar question and answer but haven't been able to find anything.  Thanks so much in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

A typical sit script (e.g., poseball, or sit-target-positioner script that remains resident) doesn't provide a menu.  When would the item be offered?  Each time you sit?

I suspect that what you want for the non menu case is a click-to-give-item script.  It would be different from the MLPV2 give-item script.

Note that the MLPV2 give-item script won't work with old MLP, but only with MLPV2.  Let us know if you need to upgrade from MLP to MLPV2.  It's easy.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to everyone who answered in this post before. I ended up getting sidetracked with other projects and didn't get to finish with the furniture I was working on with the MLP engine where I wanted it to give out items. 

In the meantime, I'm working on a chair that will have positions for working on a laptop.  I'm using a sit target positioner from BC Tech.  It does have a menu, but not the same kind of menu as an MLP item does, as it doesn't allow you to edit the menu at all.  All it gives you is the ability to choose Next Seat, Next Animation and to adjust the poses.  What type of script would I need for it to give out a laptop for the poses, and how would I position each one? 

Thanks in advance for all your help, I really appreciate it.  This forum has been so helpful to me with getting my new business started.  Thank you all!  :)

Your two main options are to make the laptop rez in position when the appropriate animation(s) are being played or, if the laptop  is the only prop that's sometimes needed and sometimes not, to make the laptop part of the desk and to use llSetLinkAlpha to turn it visible or invisible as needed.

I'd be very much inclined to go with the latter, I think, on the grounds it's a lot simpler.   Unless, that is, you particularly want to move the laptop round the desk depending on the pose selected, in which case it's a bit more complicated, and I'd probably go for rezzing it in different positions.   But I think I would try very hard to keep the laptop in the one place, because both ways of moving it are going to look a bit odd in practice.

Innula - thanks so much for your reply.  Yes the laptop is the only prop that will be used in this chair.  It's a big easy chair, and the poses  are various sitting poses while the avatar uses the laptop.  Since I'm going to be selling this piece of furniture, is there a way to make it so the laptop visibility can be turned on and off by the user if I use the second option you suggested?  Ultimately I was hoping there was a way to have the laptop rezzed in the appropriate position for each pose if that's possible. I think there are three or four poses I was going to use.  Is that possible at all?  And if so, how do I make that happen? 

Thank you again for all your help, I appreciate it so much!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4669 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.